5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2008 6:15 AM by joehanly

Alert suppression when Node is UnManaged does not work

Hi.

I added an alert suppression so that I get no alerts when a Node is UnManaged.

However.. I get no alerts whatsoever even if the node is Managed and goes Down.

If I remove the suppression and add the rule for the trigger to only trigger IF NOT Unmanaged it works.

Why does not the alert suppression function work?

• Re: Alert suppression when Node is UnManaged does not work
          denny.lecompte
          Can you give more detail of what your Trigger condition is and what your Alert Suppression condition is?
          • Re: Alert suppression when Node is UnManaged does not work
            joehanly
            Hi there

The issue you are running into is related to logic and  way you have Your alert Setup.

The suppression Logic is not applied based on that specific Node But with any node that is in an unmanaged state.

So when you apply that suppression what is happening is its looking at any node that's unmanaged and  stopping that alert From triggering

what you would need to do here is specify the actual nodenmae in the alert Trigger and  and in the alert Suppression

This is untidy for you as you no doubt have Multiple Nodes that you want the one alert to apply for

The best way to do this is to not specify any alert suppression and Setup your trigger condition to be as follows

Trigger alert when any of the following apply

When you select the drop down link you will notice that there is an Unmanaged selection. Unmanaged is now reported as a status In orion

what you should Select here is

Trigger alert when any of the following apply

Node status is equal to down

Node status is equal to unknown

Node status is equal to warning

So the alert will not fire if

Node status is equal to Up

Node status is equal to Unmanaged

D not use an alert suppression  and you should be good

I hope this helps

-J