This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Manually edit location?

I have a node that I only monitor via icmp.  I dont have access to the server, but it hosts our website so I like to monitor if its at least reachable.  I have all our devices grouped by location, and because this does not have snmp it does not have a location set.  Can I manually edit the location info for this node?

My guess is that it can probably be done in the database, but it would be nice to have the ability for nodes that are not snmp notes to be able to manually edit those fields.

• Justin

The  Location is pulled from the SNMP information on the device. Since the device is not SNMP enabled then The only option you have is to edit the database and Type in the location in there in the location Field . The other option you have is to use custom properties For grouping the devices.

Regards

-J

• I tried to manually edit the location field in the database, but it did not seem to stick.  It would just revert back to 'null' after a few seconds.

• Is there anyway this can be done via a custom property or through another method?   We are running into the same problem and would like to use the Location field but some devices are either incorrect (because the vendor didn't give access to all snmp settings) or not available because of no snmp. 

To us if we could have it like a custom property where if it was blank it used the snmp found value but if we set it to something it would use the value we set. 

• You could probably put together a calculated SQL column. First add a custom property (I call it "CustomLocation" but you could call it anything), then run SQL like this:

ALTER TABLE Nodes ADD COLUMN EitherLocation AS ISNULL(CustomLocation, Location)

Then use Custom Property Editor to update your report schemas again. Now you will have a custom property called "EitherLocation" that behaves like you describe: if CustomLocation is non-null, it will be used. Otherwise the Location column (populated from SNMP) will be used instead.

• Thank you very much!  Would this be considered "supported?"

• I would expect it to keep working in the future. If you have problems with it, we can help you out on Thwack. Does that cover your needs for support?

• I think that is good.  We have 2 installations that we'll be using it on, I just want to make sure we can keep it working and consistent.

•  Have you tried the Engineers Toolset "Update System MIB" tool?  Allows you to set things like location via SNMP assuming you have write privs on SNMP.   I've found quite a few devices to be lax in that respect and have been able to take care of quite a few of my problem nodes this way...

• We don't have the Engineers Toolset at this point but I'm looking at it.  I've used GetIf to do that before but I don't have responibilites for all the devices and not all people understand that you can do those kinds of things.  Our Adtran products were very much that way and they report correctly now instead of saying "Huntsville, Alabama." :) 

• You could probably put together a calculated SQL column. First add a custom property (I call it "CustomLocation" but you could call it anything), then run SQL like this:

ALTER TABLE Nodes ADD COLUMN EitherLocation AS ISNULL(CustomLocation, Location)

Then use Custom Property Editor to update your report schemas again. Now you will have a custom property called "EitherLocation" that behaves like you describe: if CustomLocation is non-null, it will be used. Otherwise the Location column (populated from SNMP) will be used instead.

Is there any chance this would break the web interface for adding nodes?  I've tried to add a few today and keep getting script errors on the page. 

Line: 6
    Char: 62099
    Error: Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error occurred while processing the request on the server.  The status code returned from the server was: 500
    Code: 0
    URL: http://NPMSERVER:8080/Orion/Nodes/Add/Properties.aspx

The device gets added but none of the properties are there.