6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2008 1:35 PM by Fodome

External process monitor

BTSpaul

Sorry if this question had been already asked, but I didn't find any posts by scanning this forum:

Is there any way to set up an external process monitor which would run a script or an executable, that would return an integer value and collect statistics on it? I want the same thing like ipMonitor has for bandwidth/cpu/memory with graphs, etc, but for an external process. Is it possible?

Thank you!

• Re: External process monitor

I have a c# executable I made which the monitor launches.  It does a test for me, and has a return code value.  I then look at that to know what happens.  For example, a return of 0 is success, 5 failure, etc.

It works well for me.

Bo

BTSpaul

aynov,

You are describing the basic existing functionality of the external process monitor which checks only for success/failure. However, as I have mentioned in my original post, I need to also collect statistics on the returned integers and graph them in the reports!

Scenario:
              an external process returns positive integers from 0 to whatever is the integer limit, for instance from 0 to 1024. I want this external process monitor to trigger an alert when the returned value exceeds a certain value (e.g. 256). There's no problems with that for now... But I need to be able to see the report with a graph and a table of values to see the process' historic output, i.e. I need this monitor to collect statistics as bandwidth/drive space and some other monitors do.

Fodome

Hi PTSpaul,

The ability to report on the values returned by an executable to the External Process Monitor is currently a feature request which may find its way in a future version of ipMonitor.  At this time, reporting on these values is not possible.

Sincerely,

Fodome

BTSpaul

Thanks, Fodome!

I also noticed that Directory monitor also has this limitation... I'd like to be able to report the values for size/filecount (depending on what is the setting of the monitor is).

Fodome

BTSPaul,

-Reporting on External Process values is tentatively scheduled for next release (9.1)

-Reporting on Directory Size values is tentatively scheduled for next version (10)

Please keep in mind that this can change at any time and is in no way a garantee that these features will exist in future releases/versions.

Sincerely,

Chris Foley (a.k.a Fodome)