9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2009 10:49 AM by rdmott

Reports Timing Out

sgreath

I have started to notice an increase in the timeouts I've encountered when running my reports via the Solarwinds web interface.  Does anyone else have this problem, or have a workaround for it?  This has really screwed up my scheduled reports also, a lot of them are timing out.  This started happening in version 8.5 sp3 and continued after the upgrade to 9.0 sp2.

• Re: Reports Timing Out
          mark wiggans

Without knowing how large the reports are that you are running, one likely cause could be that one table in the DB is very large which is delaying the querying, causing the timeout. From the Web Admin. -> Web settings you could try increasing the Report timeout cache to see if that helps any.

sgreath

I have 481 total nodes...it's an availability report on a group of about 250 of these.  I run other reports for all 481 nodes and it seems to work fine.  Is there anything I can check to see why it's timing out?  I opened a support ticket and didn't get any workarounds for it so I was hoping someon in the forums might know.

r0berth1

Are you using a custom report or one of the boxed reports? I have had this issue on some of my custom reports and it was because I was entering an invalid time on the ranges. 10/20/08 8:00 instead of 10/20/2008 8:00 PM or 10/20/2008 20:00.

R0berth1,

I am using custom reports.  The time frame I have set is "Yesterday".  I have tried 5 different time frames, and the scheduled report will work if I set it to Last Hour.  Now that got me to thinking, Hey - the report is just too big..  well, the reports themselves show up as about 78K.  Now those same custom reports run WITHOUT A PROBLEM in Report Writer..  it is only in the Scheduler that they seem to bomb out.  I have two canned reports that are larger, and they run like clockwork.. 

At this point, I can only conclude that something is inherently wrong with SOME of my custom reports, as not all of them have this problem; I just can't seem to pin down what.

Mark,

Our report cache timeouts aren't going any higher than 126 seconds.  Is there any other way to increase this?

I am running 9.1 as well, and have been having sporadic issues with the Report Scheduler.

I have opened no less than 3 cases on this, (have one open currently) and have already increased the timeout for the webpage, which worked... for about a week.  Then I discovered on my own that I needed a LOT of open disk space to run these reports, which I cleared out room for.

That worked for a a few days, and now I've got some jobs working well consistenty, and others working at first and then stopping.  Watching Taskmanager, I see the  RunOrionJob entry go to Not Responding after about 15 to 20 seconds.

The report runs just fine in Report Writer.  It is only in Report Scheduler that it crashes.

This has made the entire product unreliable, and useless for PCI compliance.