15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2008 11:08 AM by cburgy

Collecting sFlow in NTA

battlepaw

We installed  NTA 3 SP3 to demo how Solarwinds can work with Foundry equipment and cannot get any information from our sFlow devices.  I have added the collector to the Foundry device and set all the other parameters that the documentation asked for.  I added the device in NTA and can see all the ports but everything still says Never for Last Data Recieved.  Ironview is getting the data with no problems.  Is there another step that I might be missing?

• Re: Collecting sFlow in NTA
          Andy McBride

Are you getting any error messages in the Traffic Analysis Evevts Resource?

battlepaw

No.  I show where it thanks me for installing it and where the collector comes up.

Jason.Henson

The first thing you want to do is verify that Orion sees the SFLOW traffic.  First, verify that you configured the flow to export on the same port that Orion is listening and that the 'SolarWinds NetFlow Service' windows service is in a started status.  By default, the port that Orion NetFlow module is listening on is 2055.  If you have confirmed this, you can verify that the SFLOW traffic is being recognized at the Orion server by looking at a set of performance counters that are added to the perfmon console when you install Orion Netflow module (this will be opened from the Orion server).

To open this, click on Start > Run and type 'perfmon'.  Click OK and you will be presented with the Performance interface.  click on the 'Delete Key' icon 3 times at the top of the window to remove all counters added to the interface by default.  Next, right click in the grey area of the chart and click 'Add Counters'.  Under 'Performance Object', select SolarWinds and then change the radio button to select 'All counters'.  Click the Add button and then the Close button.  Now, at the top of the Performance window, click on the 'View Report' icon.  You will see the counters for SFLOW.  If you watch these, do you see the counters incrementing?  If you do not, then most likely the SFLOW traffic is not making it to the Orion server and we need to look at why that would not be happening: possibly something blocking the traffic or evaluate the configuration for SFLOW export again to verify it is complete and correct.