5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2008 3:12 PM by lchance

user specific views editing

Hi,

My boss went in and change a bunch of stuff in the views and Orion screwed up.

Now I was able to bring it back to default.

How can I setup a user to be able to change his own views without affecting other users views?

• Re: user specific views editing

I did the webconsole backup yesterday, but the restore only shows the initial configuration, not the one I backed up.

How do I restore my web console backup?

borgan
              Web views are global, so changing a view for one changes it for all. As for backing up web view, you must have chosen the overwrite Orion since it would overwrite changes you recently made when restored.

Well that's realy bad, most software that have user profiles, you can change specific users profile without affecting other users...

How can i add a change request to the build of Orion so that they can povide that?

I have several users, and not all of them want to see the same info, but putting all the different views in, just slows down the server...

Example:
                  a tech might want to see the interface vlist view under node details, but the admin might not want to see that but only errors and stats...

I'm suprised that no one has ever requested this before !

mark wiggans

Well that's realy bad, most software that have user profiles, you can change specific users profile without affecting other users...

How can i add a change request to the build of Orion so that they can povide that?

I have several users, and not all of them want to see the same info, but putting all the different views in, just slows down the server...

Example:
                      a tech might want to see the interface vlist view under node details, but the admin might not want to see that but only errors and stats...

I'm suprised that no one has ever requested this before !

I think there might be some confusion here as to what accounts can and cannot do. Here are the detailed instructions for creating user accounts. http://www.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/SolarWinds/OrionAdministratorGuide.1.65.htm

Account limitations should get you what you need to accomplish -

http://www.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/SolarWinds/OrionAGAccountLimitations.htm#10001430 

If you are new to Orion and want a better understanding of the web possibilities I invite you to see the tutorials on this page (at the the bottom) http://thwack.com/support/
                      in particular the one on creating accounts, limiting accounts, custom views and grouping, and managing custom properties.

lchance

what i've found out, the hard way, is that ORION is not a portal...

it is mostly a static web site and many users can't accept that.

i have to tippy-toe around by creating seperate Menu Bars and assigning Views with many Filters to keep so-and-so from seeing the others network objects or else to see only their network objects .etc.

it does work - but it just takes a ton of work and time to make it presentable and controllable and acceptable to users...

i do think your request, along with others, is currently a Solarwinds product Feature Request on their product roadmap.

if you haven't found that forum here it is http://thwack.com/forums/50.aspx