10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2008 7:22 AM by SRegan

IPMonitor 9 Randomly Loses Connection

Installed IPM 9 on a windows xp pro box on the domain. This was on tuesday.

We leave it up in NOC view with all our monitors on.

Roughly once/twice a day, it will gray out and say "Unable to Retrieve Response from Server"

After that, IE won't be able to view IPmonitor through IP or name, it just says server unavailable. Bearing in mind this is from the computer that IPM is installed on, and so its basically saying it can't contact itself?

Has anyone got any ideas?

• Re: IPMonitor 9 Randomly Loses Connection
          SRegan

It's hard to say for sure why this is happening without a deep examination of your environment and the system it is running on.  That being said,  It would seem to me that your login session time is simply expiring (by design).  However, that doesn't explain the problem you are having when trying to reconnect.   I propose that you look at a few different things.  Let's start with changing the Session timeout value.

1.) Click on "Configuration" Tab

2.) Click on "System Settings"

3.) Examine the "User Sessions" field.  From here you can extend the "User Inactivity Timeout"  (set in minutes).

Part 2 of your issue: 

When it locks you out,  what is the state of the "ipmonitorsrv" service.   Is it still up?  If the service has failed,  you will need to figure out what might be causing this to happen.   What is the condition of your hardware at the time it happens?   Memory Utilization,  CPU etc.   

I wonder if this is an XP issue.  You only have 4 outbound connection, and I wonder if you are getting them used up.

Any reason you haven't installed on Windows Server?

Bo

I wonder if this is an XP issue.  You only have 4 outbound connection, and I wonder if you are getting them used up.

Any reason you haven't installed on Windows Server?

Bo

:Its what I had IPM7 on, so just reused it.  Edit: Oh and I checked the user inactivity setting. I set it to the highest it would go (240 minutes I think) It doesn't die every 240 minutes though.. it dies on a random basis. Sometimes will last 3 hours, sometimes will go 2-3 days
                Fodome

Hi Ahdinko,

I believe SReagan might be onto something.  Perhaps the ipMonitorSrv service is being stopped by something.  As a result, your ipMonitor web session is being terminated, which requires you to log back in.  Having that said, I recommend looking at the Windows Event Logs on the ipMonitor system for any clues pointing to the service stopping or halting.

Let us know what you find. 

Fodome

A side question for you

I backed up my IPmonitor 9 configuration files as XXX.ipm9backup, I'm wondering how to restore it if my server crashes?

Thanks

I'm guessing you can goto the configuration tab > system settings > import.

How did you make the backup though? Thats what I need to find out Using the export button just gives me code?

SRegan

Restoring from the Backup file.  

Browse to the installation directory and locate "ipm9restore.exe"  Run this and follow the on-screen instructions.   IMPORTANT NOTE:   When the backup file was created,  it included sensitive credential hive information, this sensitive information includes all credentials that were created within the software.  In an effort to protect this sensitive data from inadvertant disclosure,  the backup process requires the use (or creation) of a credential for encrypting this backup file.   When you run the "restore" executable,  you MUST supply the password that was used when the file was encrypted since failing to do so will not prevent the restore process but it will corrupt the credentials hive and all credentials will be lost.  

Hi all,

We also experience this from time to time, we have IPM v9 installed on a Windows 2003 Server SP2 and access IPM via IE7 on a XP box. It didn't matter what view I had it on, ie NOC, Devices, Dashboard.

Haven't really looked into why it happens, as I found that if I did a refresh the browser it comes back as per normal. (as in I don't need to log back in)

Will dig abit deeper next time it happens.....

simonpt

Yeah, I've seen this too.  Seems to come and go.  Not too serious but slightly frustrating.  I'll try to take a closer look to when it next comes up.  My gut feel is that it's more of an IPM client/server glitch than a service restarting.

Rgds, Simon

Well I had a bit of a look into it, and it is the service stopping.
                                Looked in event viewer and couldn't see any obvious clues as to why its stopping, just that its stopped.

May move it over to a W2k3 server and see what happens.

I don't mind restarting the service/rebooting the pc in hours, but when I'm out of the office and it dies, I won't get any sms alerts about servers going down.