10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 4:46 PM by Nicki

Hot-Standby Data Retention issue

brian_duvall

Our primary SLX has data retention settings of 180 days, 180 days, 730 days (detail, hourly, daily).  Over the weekend one of our additional pollers was down and our Hot-Standby server went active.  It appears according to the log on the Hot-Standby that it ran db maintenance and had the default 7 days, 30 days....settings which cleared our database of a huge amount of data we planned on keeping.  Even with the hotstandby actively polling, I can't access the system manager on the box.  Support said this is normal behavior...I need to know how to make sure this doesnt happen again.  I assume the data retention settings were in the db and that all db maintenance should be pulling from same location but I guess that is not the case.  Is their a registry setting or config file on the hotstandby I need to edit?

• Re: Hot-Standby Data Retention issue
          vhcato

Does anyone know the answer to this? If this is normal behavior, that's not good... :(

rgward

Yeah, I'd sure like clarification on this too.  This is not good.  Our settings are not default either. I've been under the assumption that the data retention settings were stored in the db and used by the HS server.

Brian, thanks for bringing this to light!

denny.lecompte

Data retention settings are stored in the registry, so you need to set them to be the same on the Hot Standby server. 

vhcato

Denny,

We are about to make some significant upgrades to our Orion implementation, and as part of that, we are considering the purchase of a Hot Standby Engine. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any official documentation detailing its true capabilities. As a result, I spent several hours looking through each and every thread resulting from a search, which really shouldn't be necessary.

Is the Hot Standby Engine considered a strategic product going forward? If so, would it be too difficult to create a document to help customers understand exactly what to expect with regard to its capabilities, and also to point out little gotcha's like this registry setting that could (and apparently has) bitten people in the form of a significant loss in collected data? Having this documented would be quite valuable to customers who are considering purchasing this product, as well as to those who own it today. Some things that should be covered are issues like the one noted in this post, as well as spelling out exactly how and when the fail-over function takes place, what services are covered such as base polling and statistics collection, web, and additional module support (if any), and if it provides any services while in the "standby" state, such as the website.

denny.lecompte

Vic,

We plan to continue support for Hot Standby, and we also intend to expand its capabilties, although I have no firm timeline for the latter.  I'll share your comments about the documentation with the rest of the team.

vhcato

Thanks Denny.This is good to know.

brian_duvall

To update:

I spoke with support and supposedly once you upgrade to v9, when a hot-standby box is active the System Manager can be opened and then you can edit the data retention settings.  The settings are NOT in the registry and I still have not gotten an answer as to where this information is stored.  It's not in the db...its not in the registry.  Does anyone have further information of where exactly the data retention settings are stored?

For now until I upgrade to v9, I simply renamed in the db maintenance exe so it won't kick off when active.  Can someone from support also confirm that in v9 the hot standby box has the ability to open system manager?

denny.lecompte
                                    I spoke with support and supposedly once you upgrade to v9, when a hot-standby box is active the System Manager can be opened and then you can edit the data retention settings.  The settings are NOT in the registry and I still have not gotten an answer as to where this information is stored.  It's not in the db...its not in the registry.  Does anyone have further information of where exactly the data retention settings are stored?

I'm not sure why you're insisting that the settings are not stored in the registry. I answered the question earlier in this thread:  They are in the registry. You can find them at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolarWinds.net\SWNetPerfMon\Settings. 

brian_duvall

No need to get snippy. :-)

If you look in this thread, all that you stated was that they were in the registry...not where in the registry and that is the question I asked...where exactly are these settings.  Thank you for the exact location.  And for further comment, when a case was opened...unfortunately i dont have the number any longer since this was a while ago....the support person could not figure out where this was stored and first told me db..then registry..but couldn't confirm..then escalated to higher level of support to tell me that it was something that is compiled in one of the files solarwinds uses....obviously wrong information.

For future reference, on a hot-standby server the registry values of "Retain Daily", "Retain Hourly", etc under this registry key are not defined by default so do not appear.  I assume if not defined at all it uses the default values that are stored where???  I went ahead and manually added these registry values to the hot-standby server based off of the values I have in that registry key on the primary box.  Hopefully the next time it runs it will use these manually added values.

We have NPM v9.5 SP4:

The Settings is disabled in System Manager and there is a button that tells you to go to the web console to configure settings.

Go to Web Console, click on Admin, in the "Settings" box there is a clickable URL for "Polling Settings"; click on it, and use that.  We have our settings at 7-30-60-31, etc.

Works great!