8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2008 9:55 AM by lchance

need help with this Custom Bandwidth - see diagram

lchance

considering the multiple links In/Out - i'm trying to figure out the best Custom Transmit & Receive Bandwidth settings for this interface.

http://thwack.com/photos/customized_maps/picture43084.aspx

• Re: need help with this Custom Bandwidth - see diagram
          lchance

...are there any Solarwinds Moderators who can help answer this?

denny.lecompte

I don't think it's clear what the problem is.  Why do you need custom bandwidth? Can you give readers more info than just this diagram?

lchance

i don't guess it's A PROBLEM per se - but it seems an ideal situation to make use of the Custom Bandwidth setting.to get a true picture of In/Out bandwidth utilizations.

if we just go through time basing utilization off of 100 Mbps as those 1.54Mbps become saturated and over-used then it seems it would never be spotted in trending.

is that right? am i missing the point on what the Custom Bandwidth is intended to be used for? is this not a case for the Custom Bandwidth feature?

i'll go with whatever you, 'Solarwinds', will suggest.

by the way - i thought a picture was worth a thousand words ... my bad.

kweise

lchance,

I think I understand what you're trying to do, but I'm not sure that interface is where I'd try to do it.  Instead of setting custom bandwidth settings on the ethernet port for the aggregator, I'd set custom bandwidth settings on each of the uplink intefaces for your DSL modem (1.54 Mbps receive, 384 Kbps transmit), Cable modem (16Mbps receive, 2 Mbps transmit) and Internet T1 interface (1.54 Mbps transmit/receive.)  The only way I could see you setting a custom bandwidth setting on the aggregator interface would be to add all three upload speeds and set that as your custom transmit bandwidth and then add your download speeds and set that as your custom receive bandwidth setting.  The problem with doing that is any one (or two) of the three links could be saturated and you still won't see it in the trending of the aggregator's interface (even with a custom bandwidth setting.)  

Hopefully I'm understanding your issue correctly and this is helpful to you.  If I didn't get what you're after, let me know and I'll take another stab at it.