5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2008 8:31 AM by denny.lecompte

UDP Transforms

Could Solarwinds add a concatenation operator to the Transform for UDPs?  (Maybe even some string functionality too?)  Names and status in SNMP tables are often textual in nature.

• Re: UDP Transforms
          denny.lecompte

Can you give me some concrete examples?  I'll add this to the feature DB.

VMWare for example.  I can get the name of the guest, the OS of the guest, whether it's running or not, etc.  Trying to have that displayed well in Solarwinds is frustrating.  If I could transform several of those into a single string and display it, it might be better.  Otherwise the results are somewhat unpredictable, as with the UDP that jbaulsir shows in his post http://thwack.com/forums/thread/41303.aspx . 

denny.lecompte

It's early, so I'm a little slow.  How is that screenshot unpredictable?  The names of the OS are different, but they are pulled directly from the MIB.  Or is it something else?

Perhaps unpredictable is the wrong word choice, but look at the quality of the headings.  First of all, this shot is limited to a Node Details view.  The column headings for columns 2-4 get named the same as the poller.  Column 1 gets named Display_Name - Label even though it is showing data from a different poller.

I think what people would like is a way to get a summary that shows the VMs, their state, OS, and what physical server they are running on.  It isn't all that helpful to be able to list the VMs well only on the Node Details screen, unless you only have one ESX server.

Maybe you should consider a module for Orion that deals with virtualization.  I would imagine you might get a strong response to that.