12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2008 7:53 AM by Peter.Cooper

Newbie Questions

Hi, I've just downloaded and installed IPMonitor today, the first time I've tried an application of this type. I have a small(ish) network to manage <20 Windows 2003 servers including DCs and Exchange 2003. My question is this; what data can IPMonitor glean from the servers using only RPC? We don't currently have SNMP enabled, is it essential to enable it or can we get enough data using just RPC for basic monitoring e.g. CPU usage, drive space etc?

Many thanks.

• Re: Newbie Questions
          mark wiggans

If no SNMP then you would have to use WMI along with RPC -

here are some more details- Questions about discovery

• Re: Newbie Questions
            Peter.Cooper

We don't currently have SNMP enabled, is it essential to enable it or can we get enough data using just RPC for basic monitoring e.g. CPU usage, drive space etc?

Just to add to what Mark said, ipMonitor doesn't require SNMP to be installed on your network. Mark points out that ipMonitor does make use of WMI and/or RPC to retrieve CPU, drive space, exchange, etc for the essential resources it finds.

It tries to be intelligent when it recommends new monitors to add. SNMP has less dependencies to function (and therefore more reliable over the long term), so if found, ipMonitor will prefer it over WMI & RPC.

Off the top of my head, I think ipMonitor will pick up your dell fans and temperature sensors with SNMP where it wouldn't otherwise. I would honestly recommend adding SNMP as a side project (start with the servers when convenient). Once you go SNMP you won't go back! ;)