2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2008 2:05 PM by borgan

help adding new devices

borgan

I am a little confused about some aspects of the Enter Device Details screen. Obviously, one can simply enter an IP address of the device that is to be added.

But, what determines the list of devices that appear when one selects the Browse button?

Also, if I click on the Select Unmanaged Device button, what determines the devices that appear in the list and what is actually happening if I Refresh this list?

If I check the "Add Device immediately without scanning" button, does that mean ipMonitor will not try to detect services that may already be running and can be used as monitors?

Thanks for help.

• Re: help adding new devices
          Peter.Cooper

But, what determines the list of devices that appear when one selects the Browse button?

I'm 99% sure you're referring to a button that leverages active directory

Also, if I click on the Select Unmanaged Device button, what determines the devices that appear in the list and what is actually happening if I Refresh this list?

Unmanaged devices are the devices that we've found from a network discovery that haven't been added to the system.

Refreshing the list probably doesn't do a lot here unless there are multiple administrators working on the box. I think the refresh button appears there for consistency (and F5 doesn't have the effect you'd be looking for).

If I check the "Add Device immediately without scanning" button, does that mean ipMonitor will not try to detect services that may already be running and can be used as monitors?

Correct. ipMonitor just adds a 'shell' device that has nothing in it. It's intended so that if you want full manual control, you can!