3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2008 11:57 AM by SamuelB

SSD or Multiple SQL Servers?

We currently are running Orion NPM version 9 with NTA version 3 (all hotfixes and patches applied).  We run the poller/website on one server and a dedicated-to-Orion SQL server.  Our SQL server is getting hammered by NTA.  We're monitoring six Cisco router Interfaces (ingress only).  Three GigE interfaces (averaging about 5 Mbps of throughput with between 30 and 200 users per interface) and three FastEthernet interfaces (averaging about the same throughput with about 10 to 50 users per interface).  

Our current SQL server is:

Dell 2850 with two dual-core Xeon 3.0 GHz CPUs, 3 GB RAM, OS (Windows 2003 32-bit Standard Edition) and SQL software (SQL 2000 32-bit Standard Edition) on a RAID 1 group (2 x 73 GB, 15K RPM drives), SQL data on a separate RAID10 group (4 x 73 GB, 15K RPM drives)  (both on the same Dell PERC 4/Di controller) and we're seeing the error:

Exception: error occurred during packet processing. Transaction (Process ID 87) was deadlocked on {lock} resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction. 

Anywhere from every 5 to 10 minutes to several times a minute.  If we shutdown NTA, the SQL server activity drops significantly.  We have a 98% buffer cache hit ratio, but lots of Lock Request with NTA running

Management has OK'd a new server that I get to design.  We'll be recommending Windows 2K3 64-bit EE with SQL Server 2005 64-bit EE running on a dual-proc, Quad-Core machine with 16 to 32 GB of RAM.  BUT I'm still concerned about the write speed of the disks (which seem to be the bottleneck). 

I'm wondering if I should be looking at some of the new 128 GB SSDs out there (I understand those are much faster than hard disks)?  Or, if not that, is it possible to split the NetPerfMon database between different machines? 

I get one shot a getting a killer SQL server and want to avoid having to apologize to management for spending $15K to $30K on a server and still have performance issues.  Any thoughts?