4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 9:46 AM by BryanBecker

question - can this app be installed on the Orion server along w/NTA?

lchance

i'd like to use this app at the Orion server, but need to know if it is safe to install it since NTA is installed there already.

thanks,

LC

• Re: question - can this app be installed on the Orion server along w/NTA?

SolarWinds Real-Time NetFlow Analyzer does not share any files or configuration settings with NetFlow Traffic Analyzer so it is safe to install it on the Orion server.  However, only one application can listen on port 2055 at a time.  By default, Real-Time NetFlow Analyzer and NTA listen on port 2055 for NetFlow data.  This means that only one of the applications can receive NetFlow data at the same time if they are installed on the same computer.  Usually the application that is started first will own port 2055.

You have a few ways to deal with this:

• Install Real-Time NetFlow Analyzer on another computer and change your network device to send specific flow(s) to that computer while doing real-time analysis
          • Install both applications on the same computer but have them listen on different ports.  You'll have to modify your network device to send the flows for real-time analysis to the port that Real-Time NetFlow Analyzer is listening on
          • Temporarily stop the NTA service while you are using Real-Time NetFlow Analyzer

Is there any document which tells what to be configured on cisco boxes to get this working ???

BryanBecker

SolarWinds Real-Time NetFlow Analyzer does not share any files or configuration settings with NetFlow Traffic Analyzer so it is safe to install it on the Orion server.  However, only one application can listen on port 2055 at a time.  By default, Real-Time NetFlow Analyzer and NTA listen on port 2055 for NetFlow data.  This means that only one of the applications can receive NetFlow data at the same time if they are installed on the same computer.  Usually the application that is started first will own port 2055.

You have a few ways to deal with this:

• Install Real-Time NetFlow Analyzer on another computer and change your network device to send specific flow(s) to that computer while doing real-time analysis
                • Install both applications on the same computer but have them listen on different ports.  You'll have to modify your network device to send the flows for real-time analysis to the port that Real-Time NetFlow Analyzer is listening on
                • Temporarily stop the NTA service while you are using Real-Time NetFlow Analyzer

I wanted to revisit this.  Has there been any more discussion internally to making this both work at the same time without having to change device configurations?  We are a cisco shop so the most any 1 device can export to is 2 netflow receivers (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).  So we have 1 going to Orion and 1 going to a security appliance.  Since netflow can be a wan hog I would not want top config my device to duplicate the stream to the same server on 2 ports. 

I understand the same port issue however its not an idea solution for customers.  So basically I see 2 options :

1. Somehow figure out how to make both work on the same port.
                2. Add the functionality in NTA to do real-time. 

I'd prefer #2 because I would not need to log into the Orion poller and I could just view the data in the web site. 

BB