This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

WAN Killer issue (or Circuit Problem?)

Hi all. I am having a problem with a point to point DS3 circuit. My file transfer rates are extremely slow. Anyway I wanted to use WAN Killer to see how much I can saturate the line. I'm able to bombard the Line with UDP (port 7 or 9)I have the bandwidth set to 44Mbps and percentage at 50%. I end up seeing 21Mbps (which is obviously what I should see). However when I switch to TCP with the same percentage of bandwidth utilization set (50%) it starts at about 2Mbps then drops over 10 seconds to zero. Is there something I am doing wrong with WAN Killer or am I seeing a problem with my DS3?

• I think this might have to do with TCP windowing, but not sure.  I have been looking at using WAN Killer myself to do some MPLS testing and was told to use UDP and not TCP because of this windowing.  I don't know a lot about it and haven't read up on it yet.  Maybe someone else will chime in with some clear information because I would like to know before I start doing my tests.

• I'm having a similar issue like you. Fortunately I have multiple sites so I was able to determine that the problem only occur on any of my International sites (I'm in Australia). My suggestion for you is to carry out FTP transfer test on a good site and compare the results with the bad site. That way, you have something to go back to the carrier and complain to them. I have seen mismatch duplex settings inside carrier's network that cause slowness