This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Storing monitor results in SQL Server?

Hi,

I'm currently trialing ipMonitor and like what I see, but I need the ability to perform my own reports and queries on the results returned by the monitors for our internal reporting.  Is it possible to configure ipMonitor to store its data into a SQL database for historical reporting?

If this isn't possible does anyone know if can we interrogate ipMonitor directly via Excel?

Thanks.

Marcus

• This is not currently possible with ipMonitor.   If that type of historical reporting is critical to your organization, you might want to check out Orion instead http://oriondemo.solarwinds.com/Orion/SummaryView.aspx?viewid=119&netobject=

• That can be done through their SOAP interface. I have a small Windows Service that polls the monitors every 30 seconds and stores them to SQL. It works great.

dlesko

• To prioritize this request, I'd like to better understand your use-cases and environment.   Can you help  me out by answering the following questions?

1. Which monitor types are you using in your environment?

2. How many monitors do you have deployed?

3. What specific reports are you trying to pull that you're not able to do with the built-in reporting?

• Hi Chris,

this is something we would be interested in as well.....

1. Which monitor types are you using in your environment?

We use a wide range of monitors

2. How many monitors do you have deployed?

at this stage we have 780 monitors on 300 odd devices, across two countries

3. What specific reports are you trying to pull that you're not able to do with the built-in reporting?

Basically we would leverage our existing Business Objects reporting options and utilise the Web Intelligence reporting from within business objects, which allow users to create their own reports on the fly. This gives the business greater flexibility in reporting and users are not constrait to built in reports or reports which 'IT' create. If you create the Web Intelligence "universe" correctly your reporting options are endless, once the 'universe' is created it removes the need for IT to create reports on request, as users simply create their own.

Hope this helps.........

Shane 

• Shane...

Just a small note - it is entirely possible to just use the returned XML as a dataset in a report. I've done it with Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services. I am not sure what your environment is but the xml is fairly standard.

Just a thought...

dlesko

• We are storing monitors that are entering down state to a sql server via a .vbs script that is executed by an external process action. We are also triggering tracert for some wan and firewall ping monitors on different remote sites in order to get a clue on where the fault could be at the very moment of the failure.

The sql data is published to an asp site where technicians can mark the alert as "faultfinding in progress" and later on clear the alert and attach a note to it with a description containing the cause and solution. If the same monitor alerts again at any time you can instantly see a history of that monitor and if you are lucky also the solution and which technician that can be blamed for not fixing it permanently :)

This works great for us since we are about 40ppl handling the alerts and its generating some sort of knowledge base.

The same page are also displaying montors currently in warning, down and lost state.

• Would you be willing to show example vbs scripts for storing the data in SQL and asp code on how you are achieving this?  Creating a page to mark faults as in progress is a great idea.

-Charles S

• We're also very intersted in this.  At the moment we need to report service availability at the group level instead the monitor level and the built in reports don't give us that flexibility.  We're currently using about 1000 counters, including SQL, FTP, Exchange, Windows services, ping, disk space, and SNMP counters.

Thanks,

Amanda

• Ok here goes, this is my quick and dirty solution emoticons_happy.png I have a similar script in order to create a tracert log in the event of a WAN link failure. Im not going to post the .asp code for the website here but I have uploaded a screen shots so that you can get the general idea.

SQL database

Create a SQL database named ipMonitorAlerts, add the table AlertTable with the following fields(in this order):

monitorid,datetime,monitoraddr,monitorname,monitortype,monitorstatus

Create a login for the db.

.vbs script

Create a directory for the script (C:\ScriptDIR in this example) and add the following code into a file named DBwriter.vbs

Function writeSQL(writeData)
     strConnection = "Driver={SQL Server};Server=SQL-SERVER.DOMAIN.COM,1434;Database=ipMonitorAlerts;Uid=ipMonWriter;Pwd=StrongPasswordHere;"
     Set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
     conn.Open strConnection
     conn.Execute("INSERT INTO AlertTable(monitorid,datetime,monitoraddr,monitorname,monitortype,monitorstatus) VALUES ('" & writeData(0) & "','20" & writeData(1) & "','" & writeData(2) & "','" & writeData(3) & "','" & writeData(4) & "','" & writeData(5) & "')")
     conn.Close
    End Function

Function stripQuotes(strWords)
     stripQuotes = replace(strWords, "'", "''")
     stripQuotes = replace(stripQuotes, ";", ":")
    End Function

Function killChars(strWords)
     Dim badChars
     Dim newChars

badChars = array("select", "drop", "--", "insert", "delete", "xp_")
     newChars = strWords

For j = 0 to uBound(badChars)
      newChars = replace(newChars, badChars(j), "")
     Next
     killChars = newChars
    End Function

If WScript.Arguments.Count < 1 Then Wscript.quit

theList = Split(Wscript.Arguments(0),"^")

If UBound(theList) <> 5 Then Wscript.quit

'Prevent SQL injection
    For i = 0 to Ubound(theList)
     theList(i) = stripQuotes(theList(i))
     theList(i) = killChars(theList(i))
    Next

writeSQL(theList)

ipMonitor Alert

Add an Alert with an external process action with the following settings:

Executable Name: cscript.exe

Directory: c:\windows\system32

Startup Directory: C:\ScriptDIR

Failure command line:

C:\ScriptDIR\DBwriter.vbs "%monitorid%^%date% %time%^%monitoraddr%^%monitorname%^%monitortype%^%monitorstatus%"

I hope you can get this to work