3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2008 4:39 PM by chris.lapoint

Restrict Access To Monitors

14ALL

I would like to enable our Change Mgmt staff to access only 12 specific monitors that they need to suspend during deployments.  In IPMonitor 8, I accomplished this by logging in as the user, filtering so that only those 12 monitors would display, then removing all rights except "List, Read, Write, & Attributes" for "Groups, Devices & Monitors".  I don't see a filter option when listing Monitors in IPMonitor v9.  How can I accomplish this?

• Re: Restrict Access To Monitors
          chris.lapoint

Our replacement for "saved filters" is called SmartGroups.   I would suggest tagging your monitors and creating a SmartGroup that only includes monitors based on that tag.  This way the users can login and access their SmartGroup.

14ALL

I created the smartgroup which now contains the necessary monitors.  How to I configure the user's account so that this is all they can see?  I could pull this off in IPM 8.  I don't like the idea of giving away the ability for someone to modify all monitors.

chris.lapoint

In v8, the user still has the ability to "stop using the current filter" and modify other monitors so nothing has really changed here as far as limiting access.   But, you're right, you were able to limit what they could see (at least initially).   Unfortunately, there is no way to limit view access to just specific monitors currently in v9. We'll definitely consider this for our roadmap.

One thing to consider as you grow and need more people to access ipMonitor is moving to Orion/APM.   Orion is specifically built for multi-user access.