5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2008 6:00 PM by sean.martinez

V9 syslog still not able to be purged from DB via syslog setting?

We have 4G a day dumping to syslog and the DBA's are asking when will it stop? Searched archives and said syslog purge to conform to syslos settint in ver 8.5. We are running 9, have setting down to ONE day and db is close to 100 gig now and continues. Any plans to get it working?

• Re: V9 syslog still not able to be purged from DB via syslog setting?
          borgan

Pardon a suggestion please. Have you demonstrated that Orion can perform the maintenance procedures on one or two smaller tables in the database? It may be that the syslog table is too large for the procedure to work. You could test this theory by compacting a few smaller tables to make sure the process is working. If it seems to be working, you may have to manually truncate the syslog table before the compaction/reindexing process will work. I believe that there is a thread here that details the truncation procedure should you need it.

All I'm trying to do here is get the "syslog" table to size based on "Retain Syslog messages in the database" slider setting in the syslog console settings. I have the slider now set to one day which is as low as it will go. The DBA's have confirmed that none of the syslog table data has been removed and it continues to grow. All the data from when we started sending syslog into the database is still in there and not being purged.

Because of the performance hit, I just logged into the few network devices we had set up to send syslog data, and removed the Orion IP, hence we are not growing any more. We now have large amount of data that we can't seem to remove via Orion Software. Being this database lies an a back end DB that supports more production then just Orion, the DBA's are restricted in what they manually do to any DB.

So the Question remains - If I can't reduce the syslog table size from the slider setting for # of days of syslog data to remain in the database, the how can I decrease the size of the syslog database with settings in the Orion software?

sean.martinez

I have just retested v9 and it does work.

I changed my view to see all 7 days, went into the setting and changed to 6 days, Viewer still showed 7, so then I closed the app, ran Database Maintenance, and Re-opened Syslog Viewer, I now count just 6 days.

How many Syslogs do you have being sent every minute?