This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Connecting to additional poller

Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue.  We seems when we RDP into any of our polling enignes and run the system manager, we are only able to connect to the local box.  When we try to connect to a remote box it fails.

We've only recently (couple months) setup the second engine, so this has never worked for us in the past.  I called support a while back and was told it might have something to do with a Microsoft patch and something about a DCOM issue -- unfortunatly support never got back to me, and when I just called for an update I was told they wouldn't support this problem and that I should go bug Microsoft instead.

Just wondering if anyone else had this issue, and how they resolved it?  James on the support desk tried to imply this is something I should know how to do myself, but alas I'm a network guy not a server guy, so this issue is a bit beyond me.

Thanks,

Everest

• .  When we try to connect to a remote box it fails.

Could you provide some details as to what message you get when you attempt this?

• Good question  :)

Specifically, it says "Cannot connecto to <remote poller name> Permission denied.  Be sure the server <remote poller name> has full access rights to the client.

It should be noted that these servers do nothing but Orion, and have always been setup using the config wizards etc.  Other than microsoft patching they aren't customized for any other purpose.

•  We have the same issue when trying to use System Manager to connect to a poller on a different server.  The error message we get is "Cannot connect to [server name] Permission denied.  Be sure the server [server name] has full access rights to the client."

• I’ve searched around and was able to come up with this from a previous thread. I hope this offers some clarifications as to why this cannot work.

In this case it seems that James is correct and that this problem is a windows related problem. It has to do with the component services.

Microsoft updated their systems with a security patch which in turn shutsdown the DCOM.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444

•  Whenever I have asked Tech Support on this issue they tell me "We do not recommend that you connect to
    other Polling Engines through the System Manager interface" .  So we RDP into each Polling engine to make any changes.  It can get challenging with 4 Polling engines.

Kevin  Grover

SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor 8.5.1 SP3

Network Elements23281 Elements
    Nodes1591 Nodes
    Interfaces21653 Interfaces