7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 11:59 AM by pozurita

Question about moving Orion to a new server

We have recently purchased new hardware (long overdue) for our Orion and Cirrus installs.  I am ready to install Orion on the new server (old one still running).  We are running 8.5.1 and are wanting to move to v9.  My question is, can I intall version 9 on the new server and point it to the existing DB?  I'm guessing no.  So what would be the correct process to move Orion to the new server and upgrade to v9 as well?

Thanks, 

Steve

• Re: Question about moving Orion to a new server
          borgan

If you have not already done so, download the License Manager from the SW website to your existing server. Install and run it and that will deactivate your license on your current server. Then install Orion on the new server and then upgrade to v9 when ready. Is your Orion database on a separate server?

Thanks for reminding me about the License Manager... 

Our database is on the Orion server (running SQL 2005). 

You recommend installing Orion ver 8.5.1 on the new server and getting the db moved over then upgrading correct?

borgan

If you still want the database and the Orion poller on the same server, I would migrate the DB first so that Orion can find it when the Configuration Wizard runs. There is a database migration procedure on the Solarwinds website in the knowledge base that you should use to make sure the DB gets moved successfully.

You mentioned that you are running SQL 2005. What version? How big is your database? How many elements are you monitoring with Orion?

Ok, I cannot find the download for Oriion 8.5.1 to install on the new server.  All the downloads I find are for v9.  Where can I get the 8.5.1 dload?

qle
                          You'll probably have to contact customerservice@solarwinds.com to have them make it available to you through your support portal.
                            tdanner

You don't have to install 8.5.1 on the new server and upgrade it to 9.0. You could just shut down the 8.5.1 server, install 9.0 on the new server, and tell the configuration wizard to use the old database. This will upgrade the database to the 9.0 schema. (After doing this, you can't use 8.5.1 with that database anymore, so keep a backup just in case.)

You will need to use the Poller Load Balancing tool (you can launch it from Monitor Polling Engines) to reassign all the nodes from the now-defunct 8.5.1 server to the new 9.0 server.

pozurita
                                I have a similar issue only one problem, when I try to move objects with the load balancing tool and it does look like the new server is dooing the polling ( is there a quick way to verify this--I moved two objects as a test--the problem is when i view these vi web console or NPM sys mgr i get no charts no data for selected time period.  now I still have the old production server running and is my active until i get all the bugs worked out in the new box.  is this the wrong approach? do i need to shut down the old server first? I moved the DB over jst fine all my objects are there in the new pre-production box just no current data in the sample of objects i move via device load blancing tool.  Old version MS 2000, serv SW 8.0, SQL 2000 new version VM MS2003 serv, SW 9.1, SQL 2005