This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Assign poller groups

With the new Universal Device Manager in V9 and the ability to group pollers and transforms - why not make Groups assignable to objects.

Today when I need to assign all pollers in a group I have to open the group and manually assign ALL the pollers in that group. It would be much more simpler to just assign the group - and here's the point I'm trying to make.... when adding a new poller to that group you wont have to reconfigure hundreds of nodes or interfaces to include the new poller as the group is allready assigned to them..

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Unless I'm missing something (which is certainly possible),  I think we do this today.  

1.  Open the UnDP GUI. 

2.  Click Assign Pollers. 

3.  Select a group of pollers

4.  Click Next.  

5.  Select a group of devices

6.  Finish

Again, sorry if that's missing your point.  Also, if that gives you want you want, sorry that it wasn't as easy to discovery as it should be.

• You are right that it is possible for a few predefined groups - based on Vendor, IOS image etc.. - but these groups are useless for filtering out interfaces.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to uscallesen

Hmm.  We also show groups defined by custom properties.  Does that not help?

• It's still only node filtering - What I'm getting at here is that everything works like you says when I want to add a Universal Device Poller to a node - it's quick and simple. But for interfaces there is no way around browsing to and marking each and every interface manually - what's _really_ annoying about this is that you can't make sure all interfaces have the right pollers assigned without manually running through 'em from time to time - while for nodes you simple "re-assign" the pollers to the group of nodes.

• Hi

It would be *really* useful to be able to assign UnDP pollers to a dynamic group of interfaces e.g. I have a poller set-up to retrieve the RSSI for Cisco Cellular interfaces which I want assigned to every 3G interface when it's created.

PK