12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2008 1:32 PM by pdr3abn

SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer

I upgraded to v9 earlier today, everything went smooth.  Server is collecting data and everything appears fine on the outside.  But I have a repeating error in my Events view.

7/10/2008 03:05 PM

NPM Service [SOLARWINDS] Started

I conducted an RDP session to my server and opened up the SolarWinds.Net event log and it appears that the NPM Service is in a startup loop. 

The first event is ///NPM Service [SOLARWINDS] Started///  followed by an error ///Unhandled Exception caught in NPM Service Engine startup. Invalid column name 'BusinessLayerPort'.\\\ 

These errors are in a one minute repeating loop...  Any help would be great.

Event Type:    Information
      Event Source:    SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer
      Event Category:    None
      Event ID:    0
      Date:        7/10/2008
      Time:        3:09:50 PM
      User:        N/A
      Computer:    SOLARWINDS
      Description:
      NPM Service [SOLARWINDS] Started

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type:    Error
      Event ID:    1024
      Date:        7/10/2008
      Time:        3:09:55 PM
      Description:
      Unhandled Exception caught in NPM Service Engine startup. Invalid column name 'BusinessLayerPort'.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

• Re: SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer
          tdanner

It looks like something went wrong with the database upgrade. Try running the Configuration Wizard again and having it repair the Database.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              WHAT

Join the club. Doubt the DB repair will work, tryed it lots.

EDIT: don't listen to me, I need to read better when I am upset. It is now the next day and I am calming slightly.

casey.schmit

WHAT, is the error you're seeing the same?  "Unhandled Exception caught in NPM Service Engine startup. Invalid column name 'BusinessLayerPort'"?

The event from the SolarWinds Event Viewer is below, this event it repeating every minute. 

Event Type:    Error
                      Event ID:    1024
                      Date:        7/11/2008
                      Time:        8:46:06 AM
                      Description:
                      Unhandled Exception caught in NPM Service Engine startup. Invalid column name 'BusinessLayerPort'.

WHAT

WHAT, is the error you're seeing the same?  "Unhandled Exception caught in NPM Service Engine startup. Invalid column name 'BusinessLayerPort'"?

No I get "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation". I was just saying "join the club" of the others that are having businesslayer or other module issues!

WHAT

OK, so now I get to blow my load of happiness all over you. Please disregard my earlier posts as I was unhappy until Casey (and his co-workers) fixed my issues. For all of you that are having business layer or module issues, support WILL find the problem and WILL fix it.

Mine happened to be a unpruned table in my DB causing the module service to start, then crash repeatedly.

that is all.

denny.lecompte

OK, so now I get to blow my load of happiness all over you. Please disregard my earlier posts as I was unhappy until Casey (and his co-workers) fixed my issues. For all of you that are having business layer or module issues, support WILL find the problem and WILL fix it.

Mine happened to be a unpruned table in my DB causing the module service to start, then crash repeatedly.

Uh, on behalf of Casey and our co-workers, thanks.  Although, also, ick.

I cannot run the config wizard right now, were in the middle of collecting data on particular switch ports and we've been advised not to stop orion for any reason until we can show a high level user that there are no errors on their interfaces.  As soon as that completes I will re-run the wizard.

In the mean time is there anyway to disable the event?  The message has rendered my web console event manager useless.

7/11/2008 07:35 AMNPM Service [SOLARWINDS] Started 

Thanks for the response

tdanner

Based on the error you posted at the begining of the thread, I can see that we're not finding the BusinessLayerPort column of the Engines table in the database. This is a new column that was added in 9.0. There were other database changes in 9.0, so just creating this column won't be sufficient to get everything working.

I understand if you can't shut down Orion to fix this now. To quiet things down temporarily, you use the Windows Service Manager to stop (and maybe disable) the Orion Module Engine service. This would stop those events from cluttering up your event log, but features of the product provided by that service won't work. Of course, those features are probably not working now because of the database issue.

Running the configuration wizard was the fix.  Thanks for the quick response on this.  I had an opportunity to run the config wiz this morning.  Everything is running great, now I'll be heading off into the forums to see if I can limit the node management function.

Thanks again.