This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Question to Switch Port Mapper developpers

Hello,

When I use Switch Port Mapper for a Cisco Catalyst 3560, I can get MAC addresses of connected devices.

I don't found these MAC address when I make a SNMPWALK. Which MIB are you using for that ? I have try with BRIDGE-MIB.txt but it isn't that apparently.

Thanks in advance,

•  Geoloem - You need to vary the community string for each VLAN to get the MACs for each VLAN out of the Bridge-MIB.  So, for VLAN 400, you would need to use the community string <mycommunitystring>@400.

When you use just the bare community string, you get the Bridge-MIB for the default VLAN only.

HTH,

Greg

• :-) It's working.

Just one last question. I see strange caracters in return between dot1dTpFdbAddress and = Hex-STRING. Is-it normal ?

BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbAddress.'..)9     ä' = Hex-STRING: 00 0C 29 39 09 84
    BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbAddress.'..)H%Z' = Hex-STRING: 00 0C 29 48 25 5A
    BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbAddress.'..].UÕ' = Hex-STRING: 00 0D 5D 00 55 E5
    BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbAddress.'...ܽ:' = Hex-STRING: 00 11 0A 9A AB 3A
    BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbAddress.'...ø2K' = Hex-STRING: 00 11 0A 9B 32 4B
    BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbAddress.'...÷└±' = Hex-STRING: 00 11 0A F6 C0 F1
    BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbAddress.'../..<' = Hex-STRING: 00 11 2F 00 16 3C
    BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbAddress.'..Ï█Ýl' = Hex-STRING: 00 11 D8 DB ED 6C
    BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbAddress.'..yð#Ü' = Hex-STRING: 00 12 79 D0 23 9A
    BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbAddress.'..yÐ.:' = Hex-STRING: 00 12 79 D1 15 3A
    BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbAddress.'..yÐ.;' = Hex-STRING: 00 12 79 D1 15 3B
    BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbAddress.'..Kªè╠' = Hex-STRING: 00 1A 4B A6 8A CC
    BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbAddress.'..Kª▄ª' = Hex-STRING: 00 1A 4B A6 DC A6
    BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbAddress.'..*ÛCB' = Hex-STRING: 00 1B 2A EA 43 42

Thanks !

•  Yes - your SNMP tool is trying to print the hex characters.  Try our SNMP MIB Browser:

www.solarwinds.com/.../engineer.aspx

HTH,

Greg

• Greg, I have a question.

In this post, you state that you need to vary the community string for each VLAN to get the MACs out of the Bridge-MIB, because when using the bare string, you get the Bridge-MIB for the default VLAN only.

Then, in a post in this thread: 

You state that SPM automatically adds the @<VLANID> to the community string for each VLAN when it queries the switch.

I'm confused.

My company purchased multiple copies of the Engineer's Toolset for our network staff, with the SPM as one of the key factors of that purchase, and we're having to run multiple queries against each switch for each VLAN, which makes the SPM tool and it's data export feature quite burdensome.

How do we get SPM to automatically add the @<VLANID> for each VLAN?

•  Sure - to clarify, if we do not see a @ sign in the community string, we lookup all the VLAN Id's, and get the bridge table for each VLAN automatically, you should not need to add it.

You only want to add the @VLANID when you want to map *only* that VLAN, otherwise we will get all the VLANs for you.

Does that help?

--Greg

• Somewhat.

I should have checked updates first.

I ran the 9.2 SP1 update, and then the Switch Port Mapper hotfix, which updated me from 9.2.0.47 of SPM to 9.3.0.103.

Prior to the update, it would NOT pull anything for VLANs other than the default.  Post-update, things work fine.

Thank you!

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to kythri

I was all excited for a minute.  I just installed the update and hotfix hoping this would fix my issue with Dell switches.  It does not.  I'm still only seeing mac addresses for vlan 1 (which we don't even use) on all of my dell switches.

• I had the same issue on my Cisco stuff, prior to the update.

What version are you running?

My Switch Port Mapper version info says:

Version 9.3 July 2008

SwitchPortMapper Version 9.3.0.103

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to kythri

Same version here.  It is working correctly now with my Cisco's, but we have a lot of Dell switches in the racks in our data center...