17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 5:08 PM by drewkj

TFTP file transfer error

I'm extremely new to TFTP...  I have downloaded and installed Solarwinds Free TFTP server v9.2.0.110

It is configured to send and receive files... from any IP address... on any NIC.
      I'm trying to upload the configuration of our Cisco Wireless LAN Controller.
      I'm using the default C:\TFTP-Root folder...
      I have a folder called C:\TFTP-Root\WLC\config

In the WLC, I have specified the IP address of the server running TFTP server... the file path specified is: /WLC/config/    the filename specified is: config.tar   (not sure if this is correct)
      After trying to upload, the WLC says "File transfer failed!"

The SolarWinds TFTP Server screen says..

TFTP connected from 10.10.10.5:7800 on 6/24/2008 1:58:02 PM, netascii, PUT. Interrupted by client, cause: Path cannot be null (some kind of crazy character) Parameter name: path
      TFTP connected from 10.10.10.5:7800 on 6/24/2008 1:58:02 PM, netascii, PUT. Transmission failed. Illegal characters in path.

I'm also attaching a screen shot of the error. 

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

TIA,
      Die-Tech

• Re: TFTP file transfer error

Die-Tech - Try removing the preceeding /, and if that does not get it, try reversing the / to \. 

If that does not get it, the web app might be adding a special char to the TFTP command, can you send me a sniff of the a interaction?

Do you have access to the CLI for this device (Telnet/SSH), it might be easier to use it for downloading configs... On Cisco IOS the command is usually

copy run tftp://<Address>/path/filename.

HTH,

Greg

Something was broken in the most recent version.  I had an old version of Solarwinds TFTP on my old notebook and it worked fine.  I got a new notebook, loaded the new version (with the advertising), and now I get the same error when trying to do a code upgrade on a 4510R-E from rommon, see below.  This exact same process worked perfectly on the old version.  I wonder if it's throwing up on the "/" character.  I tried putting the file in a subdirectory (/temp/), didnt work.  I also tried using \, didnt work.  Then I downloaded Winagents TFTP and used it.  It worked perfectly using the exact same commands.

rommon 1 >set interface fa1 10.11.11.1 255.255.255.0
              rommon 2 >set ip route default 10.11.11.40
              rommon 3 >boot tftp://10.11.11.40/cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-31.SGA6.bin

Tftp Session details are ....

Filename     : /cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-31.SGA6.bin
               IP Address   : 10.11.11.1
               Loading from TftpServer: 10.11.11.40

Tftp session failed: Path cannot be null.
              Parameter name: path

cmcbride - would you mind contacting support so we can get some more information from you?  Also, are you using the latest version of the TFTP Server, as there was a fix made recently that would help this?

HTH,

Greg

Are you suggesting I should get WinAgents' TFTP server then? or is there a version of SolarWinds TFTP server I should be downloading?

I'm sure glad to hear there's a bug in the SolarWinds TFTP server... I was beginning to think it was me...

Thanks,

Die-Tech

Die-tech - I am not suggesting you download a different product, millions of folks are using SolarWinds TFTP server without issue. 

You can download the latest version of the TFTP Server here.

I am asking that if you have an issue or a possible bug, please contact support so we can track and diagnose the issue.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg.... sorry for the confusion....  I was actually asking cmcbride if I should try the other product....

As far as support for SolarWinds, I talked with Eric Magee and was told the free version of SolarWinds TFTP server has no support.

He suggested I try this forum for support.

I don't know if there's a bug or not... it sounds like cmcbride thinks there's a bug... From what he was saying, he was experiencing the same issue I was.

I will use your link above and try this version once more to see if it works for me.

Ok Greg....

I just downloaded the version from your link... it's the same as before 9.2.0.110
                              I'm getting the same errors... the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller says File Transfer Failed!   The SolarWinds TFTP server says Interrupted by client, cause: Path cannot be null (some strange ascii character)Parameter name: path..... next line says Transmission failed. Illegal characters in path.

The TFTP server root directory is: C:\TFTP-Root
                              I have a folder under it C:\TFTP-Root\WLC

I've tried the following:
                              /TFTP-Root/WLC/
                              /TFTP-Root/
                              /
                              \           (The WLC automatically changed the path to \/      (backslash forwardslash.... not a capital letter V)

Any ideas?

I may be able to test it again next week, but I think the problem might be tied to how rommon does the tftp requests.  I used the solarwinds tftp server (the new version) on my notebook from Cisco IOS without any problems.  As for using another TFTP program, I googled this error and found another person reporting the same thing, and they'd used this other program I mentioned and it worked fine.

Again I know the old version of solarwinds worked for tftping via rommon on a cisco device, because I'd just done it a couple of weeks ago. 

I know the tftp server is a free product, but the upgraded version hasnt impressed me so far.  It doesnt start in the 'on' state, has banner ads, and now it has a bug which cost me time to figure out and fix...

Greg - I am on version 10.4.0.14, and i am having the same issues.

On my ASA i have enabled tftp and pointed to my tfpt server (10.0.1.200), configured the path which should be /ourtide_tftp (e:\ourtide_tftp) and i get the error "tftp connected from 10.0.1.1:32811 on 6/18/2010....... binary, PUT. Interrupted by client, cause: Could not find a part of the path 'E"\ourtide_tftp\ourtide_tftp\ourtide_tftp'  That is very strange.....

Could someone shed light on me.... :-)

soudertech - it looks like you already have your tftp root set to "ourtide_tftp", then you are telling it to put it in <root>\ourtide_tft\, which would combine the two folders.

Try leaving the 'configuration file path' empty, and make sure that the folder you have selected for the tftp root (in the tftp server app) exists and it valid.

Also, let's get you up to he latest version which as of this writing is 10.6.

HTH,

Greg

ETENG

enter the IP address of the TFTP server, the file path on the server (default = /), and a name for the file you have selected for upload.

that is in the file path just enter  /

that will solve your problem.

ETENG

enter the IP address of the TFTP server, the file path on the server (default = /), and a name for the file you have selected for upload.

i.e. in the file path just type /

this will solve your problem

drewkj

I have a similar problem.  I am running 10.4.0.14 from the SolarWinds Toolset Free TFTP Server.  The TFTP server had been working well until now.  I get the following: "Started, file name: C:\TFTP-Root\<filename>.tar.gz,file size: 1860472744."  Then "...binary, GET. Dropped beacuse peer didn't respond."  I am told that I have the latest version, but it appears that there is a v10.6.x out there.  Do we need to upgrade?  What is my fix for this?  My transfer times out.