21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 4:27 PM by bshopp

Parent And Child Nodes In a Nodes Tree View

Is there a way to view devices in a tree with A node listed, and when you expand it the devices connected to that node are listed and so on and so forth? I know you can group the items, but is there a way to make a node a child of another node within that view?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Parent And Child Nodes In a Nodes Tree View
          jtimes

Isn't that the same question we where talking about in this thread?

Re: Orion Help. Multiple Questions.

MagnAxiom

I too keep looking for this functionality, but I've been told it isn't supported in Orion.

True parent / child relationships would allow you to properly suppress alerts.

For instance, if a switch (Parent) goes down, all the servers (children) hanging off that switch are going to be down, and being informed about the 20+ servers along with being notified the switch is down makes for a very full email box.  If the system truly had parent/child relationships, it would know that because the servers have the switch set as their parent, that they are down because of the parent outage.

You would also want this kind of logic.  Anytime Orion notices a server outage, it should immediately test to see if the parent is Up.  If it is, do notification based on just that server outage.... If the parent/switch is down... then notify about the switch outage, and suppress all the server notices.  (Maybe include a list of all children affected in the switch outage message).

Miron

Hi,

As discussed the ability to have some kind of Parent/Child relationship would greatly enhance the reporting and alerting functionality within Orion. Also as discussed there is the potential for a workaround of adding child objects to maps  however this does not fit into the alerting logic.

Now I havent tried this but I would assume it may help.(this by all means does not solve the issue and would need testing)

Create a custom property for all your nodes called Parent-A ; Parent-B. Parent-B assumes that you have resiliency for servers and switches in which case it would be connected to two upstream devices .

Then when configuring alerts potentially you can state that when a server for instance is down, to check if the node specified in the custom property is down and alert accordingly. Now i say i havent tested this at all and would have  if i wasnt on the train. However this would depend on the use of variables if it works.

If it doesnt work and if your environment is similar to the following:

Building Distribution----> Building Access Device----->

Building Access Device-----> Server

then if you have a manageable number of buildings/distributions then you essentially create an alert for each distribution or aggregation point.

If I get time I will test and let you know although im sure someone will confirm/dispute before then:-)

Miron

Hi,

Sorry i didnt fully read all the posts associated with this topic, so apologies if I repeated something.

Kind Regards

Miron

MagnAxiom

Miron, I can find NO way to get the status of another node inside an advanced alert.

Am I missing something?

From what I can tell I can only access the status and custom properties of the node that generated the triggered event. I've thought about custom properties for the uplink, but can not find a way to reference another node.

qle

As it is right now (I'm assuming this feature hasn't improved much, if at all, in NPM 9.5), you can suppress an alert based on the status of another node(s). That is, the conditions in the Alert Suppression tab will query against all nodes. You could have an alert that fires when any server goes down but is suppressed when any router is down as well. Not a very intelligent design but it will work.

bshopp

Correct, this has not improved very much in 9.5, but we are looking at this very closely to enhance for a future version.

Help me out here guys.
                                I have all my Cisco routers/switches grouped by site. I do this by using the snmp-server location field. I then group the routers/switches at each site into Technical Rooms (TRs) by using the snmp-server contact field. I then set my node tree to grouping as Level 1 - Location, Level 2 - Contact. An example of the commands are:
                                snmp-server location Wando HS
                                snmp-server contact TR4

The above lists any switches and routers under Wando High School and then any specific switches will be placed in TR4.
                                Lastly, I've created a custom properties titled "Edge-device" and "Server". The routers are selected as edge devices and servers, well, as servers.

Now the question. Using the above information as a guide, can anyone tell me if I can setup an alert that tests the status of the server. After it sees that the server is down, it checks the edge device at the same location. An email would be sent to the Server Admins only if the edge device tests as UP.

Using the same above theory, could suppressions be set up for interior switches by comparing them to the edge device at the switche's location (if a switch fails, only alert me if the edge device at that location is still responding).

I'm looking forward to your responses.

MagnAxiom

From what I've been told on the forums, the issue arrises from the "trigger" section not being able to check on the status of nodes other than the one that "triggered" the event.  I have been told that in the suppression area it is possible to make reference to the status of other nodes, but i've of yet not been able to have it pull a value from a custom property to be able to check if "CustomPropery.Parent" is up vs a hard coded device/interface.

I would love some pointers if I'm just not seeing something.

thebastidge

I have some questions about this issue as well- I want to alert on any node being down, unless the router at the site is down, then I only want a single alert- for the router itself. If I have a site router down, I don't need a flood of email alerts to the on-call phone, I just need to have someone check on the site.

I see that there are different capabilities for basic alert vs advanced alerts. It seems that basic alerts for a node can be suppressed based on another node's status of up/down. This capability does not seem to exist for advanced alerts. (This seems a pretty serious design flaw, btw.)

Right now I am trying to set up a combination of basic and advanced alerts to achieve a work-around parent/child alerting scheme.

I have a basic alert set up for each site, with all nodes in that site except for the router set to alert on up/down status. The suppression trigger for this alert is the "down" status of the router.

Then I have a seperate advanced alert set to trigger on "down" status of any router.

Has anybody else used this functionality? Any warnings or tips?

Another issue: alert actions in the basic alerts allow me to set up an email/page alert, and most of the other options available in the advanced alerts, but for some strange reason, it doesn't have the option to log to the NPM Event log, which is where I aggregate all of my events for easy viewing on the website (I have some alerts only set up to email the support group outside of business hours, as the blackberry goes crazy during the day and people are available to look at the web page for alerts all day long.)

qle

I have some questions about this issue as well- I want to alert on any node being down, unless the router at the site is down, then I only want a single alert- for the router itself. If I have a site router down, I don't need a flood of email alerts to the on-call phone, I just need to have someone check on the site.

This is a long standing request feature. *crossing fingers* Hopefully, it makes it into the next major version of Orion.

I see that there are different capabilities for basic alert vs advanced alerts. It seems that basic alerts for a node can be suppressed based on another node's status of up/down. This capability does not seem to exist for advanced alerts. (This seems a pretty serious design flaw, btw.)
                                            Actually, this feature is present in the advanced alerts. It's not as simple as checking off some boxes but advanced alerts are capable of this.

Another issue: alert actions in the basic alerts allow me to set up an email/page alert, and most of the other options available in the advanced alerts, but for some strange reason, it doesn't have the option to log to the NPM Event log, which is where I aggregate all of my events for easy viewing on the website (I have some alerts only set up to email the support group outside of business hours, as the blackberry goes crazy during the day and people are available to look at the web page for alerts all day long.)
                                            I wouldn't hold out hope for this. SolarWinds has stopped enhancing basic alerts for over a year now. All new efforts and thus suggestions should be targeted at advanced alerts.

thebastidge

True parent / child relationships would allow you to properly suppress alerts.

For instance, if a switch (Parent) goes down, all the servers (children) hanging off that switch are going to be down, and being informed about the 20+ servers along with being notified the switch is down makes for a very full email box. If the system truly had parent/child relationships, it would know that because the servers have the switch set as their parent, that they are down because of the parent outage.

You would also want this kind of logic. Anytime Orion notices a server outage, it should immediately test to see if the parent is Up. If it is, do notification based on just that server outage.... If the parent/switch is down... then notify about the switch outage, and suppress all the server notices. (Maybe include a list of all children affected in the switch outage message).

+1 on this. We have quite a few sites, and we monitor all the network devices at each site. However, getting an email/page for each one when the MDF interface takes down connectivity to IDFs is a major pain in the Blackberry.

We're looking for a way to slave dependencies so that if a router at the site goes down, all switches and servers below that will be suppressed until the router interface is back up.

MagnAxiom

Juggernaut, This kind of functionality is very closely tied to the exact problem I have brought up.

The "short" answer as I have been told is no.  There are some allusions that if you do a bunch of custom SQL imbedded code in the SQL database itself, that you can increase the functionality of these kinds of things.  Honestly not being a SQL guy, I see this as a hack for what should be a feature that should have been addressed some time ago.

You CAN group items nested in the MAP view, which can be useful for at a glance status of your networks, but it has nothing to do with actual system alerting.