8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 2:43 PM by aLTeReGo

APM Feature Request / Feedback

SLXer

I didn’t see this thread in the Forum so I thought I would pipe up. 

I would like to have the ability to add a node that is a (service) not an icmp/snmp based node. It’s up down status drawn from the APM engine with the node displayed within the Orion Network Performance Monitor application and visible from within the main Orion web portal.

I would also like to see more synergy with the alert manageability within Orion in general. Off hand a tabbed alert manager displaying tabs for Orion Performance Monitor alert rules, Application Alert rules, syslog alert rules.. etc..  

One stop shopping for disabling all alerts on Orion (Including syslog alerts)

When un-managing an element be it a node or an application there should be an option to unmanage indefinitely not just the date and time entry. ( I don’t know about you but these are more often forgotten and come back to surprise us in our environment)

• Re: APM Feature Request / Feedback
          denny.lecompte
          I would like to have the ability to add a node that is a (service) not an icmp/snmp based node

We're definitely thinking about adding this.

denny.lecompte

This feature will be in NPM 9.5.

SLXer

This is funny.. I was just about to post this again and i found my old post for the same feature. Incidentally its not present in 9.5 or 9.5.1. I'm surprised there hasn't been more feedback regarding this.

I am having to add nodes that are not reachable via icmp in order to make service monitors in APM. Which frankly doesn't make any sense not to mention wasting resources.

Any word on if this feature will make it into 10.0?

qle

I don't mean to speak for Denny but the feature I believe that made it into 9.5 was the ability to add applications to maps. Therefore, it's possible to group applications together in a map and accordingly, have that map status change according to the applications that it contains.

Your feature request to have node status reflect any applications assigned to it is still a work in progress as I understand it although I don't see it in the OLD (APM 3.5 now GA) - If you're curious as to what we're working on... thread.

DkY

Is this the best thread for generail APM Feature Request/Feedback.

Well, here is one for SolarWinds. =)

Please Please make the "Script Body:" in the Component Monitor section field bigger! Why so tiny???

Regards,

Daniel

(NPM 10.1.1 SP1, APM 10.0.1)

macnugetz

Thanks, Daniel.  You and I have discussed this offline.

Anyone else in the thwack community think this would be useful?

-Craig

byrona

Having a one-stop-shop in the web interface to manage (create, disable, enable, etc) all of the alerts within Orion would be a huge plus.

Service nodes would be nice but at this point it seems that Groups are essentially the same thing, if not I am not fully understanding the use case.

The option to unmanage indefinitely would be nice, however selecting a date 10 years in the future (while less elegant) has been working well enough.

aLTeReGo

This is funny.. I was just about to post this again and i found my old post for the same feature. Incidentally its not present in 9.5 or 9.5.1. I'm surprised there hasn't been more feedback regarding this.

I am having to add nodes that are not reachable via icmp in order to make service monitors in APM. Which frankly doesn't make any sense not to mention wasting resources.

Any word on if this feature will make it into 10.0?

I believe the feature Denny was referring to was "External" nodes. These are nodes that don't need to respond to ICMP or SNMP and were created for the very use case you defined. You can apply application templates and component monitors directly to these "external" nodes regardless of their ICMP or SNMP status.