4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2009 1:11 PM by smpross

anyone seen this sort of error with the Advanced Alerts trigger action called Execute External Program?

lchance

AlertingEngine_3008_I: 2008-06-02 15:01:02,644 [AlertCheckingThread] WARN All - On alert action Execute program : ...myprogram.exe... the Alerting Engine service was unable to run the program ...myprogram.exe Error Detail - File not found.

i'm trying to pass variables to my external program --- myprogram.exe

if i use the ellipsis and allow it to use the full path to the .exe file then it does not create this error BUT it still doesn't work, however if i don't use ellipsis and leave it normal then it generates this error with FILE NOT FOUND and still doesn't work.

myprogram.exe is inside the System Environment variables path. that is, i can execute it from C:\ prompt or from any other location. you'd think the Adv Alert External action could handle this.

i've tried putting double-quotes around myprogram.exe with it's variables but it still doesn't work.

• Re: anyone seen this sort of error with the Advanced Alerts trigger action called Execute External Program?

I seem to recall having a similar issue with traps and executing a program.

As I recall, I had to specify the absolute path the the EXE, without any variables, to get it to work properly.

Although I usually hate hard coding anything, this did not seem to unreasonable, since I have only 1 Orion server.

Bo

• Re: anyone seen this sort of error with the Advanced Alerts trigger action called Execute External Program?
            sotherls

lchance, good luck getting this to work. I have been trying to get this to work (external program) for months - to no avail. I have tried all tips/tricks posted on Thwack...

I have been working with senior support folks who said that this is being looked at by development and I am waiting on the edge of my seat for a fix/work around. We desperately need this to work.

If you do in fact get it working please share!

lchance

well - it's working ...

in fairness to the Orion Execute External Program action - it does work - but i sure can't claim any points by something i did.

here are the procedures i went through yesterday.

1) installed SQL 2005 Client on the Orion server (a pre-reg for "myprogram.exe") (BTW myprogram.exe is another vendor's app for doing notifications by email - pagers - TAP - SMS - etc and this not something i created) this program uses another remote SQL database - totally independent of Solarwinds - thus the SQL client

2) installed MYPROGRAM.EXE and all it's DLLs - etc.

3) i never rebooted this server after these installs - when i typically always do a reboot anytime i install SQL, but missed it yesterday. and before the reboot i looked at the System Environment variables and throught they were correct and in place, but obviously a reboot was really all that was needed in my case.

4) before rebooting i tested numerous Adv Alerts using External Program actions but was never had any success - either it generated the above error or else it was firing blanks with notifications.

5) so - i decided to reboot this server and after that reboot all these things began working with Adv Alerts and Execute Ext program actions.

here's a sample of what MYPROGRAM.EXE is doing in the Action: MYPROGRAM find person(Joe Public) tell(${NodeName} current response time is ${ResponseTime})

and it is passing these variables, among many others i've since created.

so in the end - i really don't have anything to offer for your situations but this has brought new life into my own notifications and seems to be working great...