9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2008 6:31 PM by simonpt

Wavecom Fastrack Supreme GSM modem

simonpt

Has anyone successfully hooked up a Wavecom Fastrack Supreme GSM modem to ipMonitor 9 for SMS alerting?  We've been suggested this model by a local reseller and I want to make sure it is going to work before buying it.

Thanks - Simon

• Re: Wavecom Fastrack Supreme GSM modem
          simonpt

Message to the SolarWinds guys:

It appears that no one in the user community has tried this modem.  The "recommended" modems list I've seen from SolarWinds includes either handsets (which we don't want) or end-of-life modems.  Can I please ask that SolarWinds provides an up-to-date recommended modems list using currently available models?  As a suggestion you could start with this Wavecom Fastrack Supreme GSM modem.  GSM modems are specialty products and, in a small remote country like where we're based, the local resellers don't have demo stock, they order it in when you order from them, and they won't take stock back unless it has a fault.  Unfortunately software incompatibility isn't classed as a fault.

Thanks - Simon

simonpt

Okay, I take it that it's a "no" from SolarWinds?  If so, that's a shame.

Yesterday I upgraded a WhatsUp Gold installation from v11 to v12, and it's now got some pretty cool features like Split Second Graphs -- hover the mouse over, say, a bandwidth utilisation metric and a pop-up graph appears showing realtime bandwidth stats updated every second.

In many ways I still prefer ipMonitor with its highly functional single console and all its user experience monitors, but Ipswitch has ramped up their GSM modem support and now includes a "Recommended SMS modems and troubleshooting tips" section in their documentation (see page 53 of this guide).

So, I ask SolarWinds again -- can you please test some current GSM modems (not just handsets) and publish your findings?  Your user community will be so grateful if you do.

Many thanks - Simon

PS.  Please add Split Second Graphs to the wishlist.

chris.lapoint

simonpt, thanks for your patience on this one and sorry for the delayed response.   The Multitech GSM modems work well with ipMonitor.   I'll check with dev to see if we've done any specific testing on Wavecom.   In the meantime, you might check out this post which describes some troubleshooting techniques by our resident GSM modem guru: Multitech GSM Modem     If you run into any issues, please feel free to call support and they'd be happy to walk you through the configuration process.

Wrt/ Split Second Graphs, can you describe the use-case requirement that they meet to help us prioritize your wishlist?  

simonpt

Hi Chris

Thanks very much for your reply.  I'll see about tracking down a Multitech locally.

Split Second Graphs (or SSGs) appear to me to take polled network monitoring to a new level.  If you're looking at, say, a bandwidth monitor that has exceeded the thresholds, you have to wait until the next 300 second poll before you see if the condition still exists or not.  An SSG shows you in realtime what the bandwidth stats are so that you can know instantly if what you're doing has rectified the issue.

I don't know if you've seen WUG v12 yet.  Ipswitch have implemented SSGs in a number of useful places.  On the Top 10 Report, you can hover over an interface and an SSG magically appears in an AJAXey popover (see attached screenshot -- I've blanked out any sensitive data).  When you drill down into the interface, the top pane shows the usual static graph for today (repolled every 300 seconds, refreshed every 60 seconds), and the second pane contains an SSG with realtime stats (looks like I'll have to attach a screenshot in a second post -- limit of one per post).

Does this help explain the value of SSGs?

Rgds, Simon

simonpt

Second screenshot attached.

chris.lapoint

Thanks simon, this helps.  I wanted to point out a couple of things you may have missed in ipMonitor:

1) From the NOC view, you can quickly drill-down to the bandwidth monitor of concern.  From the monitor properties screen, you can simply click Force Test and the monitor will poll immediately.  There's no need to wait 300 seconds for the next poll.   Not as flashy as SSG, but it meets the use-case you described for our current customers.   IMHO, SSG is just eye candy, but I'd love to hear feedback from others in the community if they think otherwise. 

2) ipMonitor provides the ability to configure short-term thresholds on bandwidth monitors.  This is the secondary threshold rate, which uses test results accumulated over the period of time to detect a steady increase in bandwidth consumption versus a sudden bandwidth spike.  The idea is that (in the bandwidth monitoring use-case you described) you wouldn't need to be alerted if the bandwidth issue was just a spike and then went away, eliminating the need to go to the website and look at pop-up graphs....

I'll leave you with this closing thought as you make your decision on whether to purchase ipMonitor.  From my discussions with our customers, being able to setup intra-device dependencies is much more important than the split second graphs or any web interface nicety.  Intra-device dependency is the ability to say that monitor A is dependent on monitor B both on the same device.  This is absolutely critical to reducing the amount of false alerts from devices.   ipMonitor supports this critical use-case.  I'll let you do your own testing to determine if other competitive products you're evaluating support this fundamental feature. 

Cheers,

simonpt

You're too late, Chris.  We already bought ipMonitor a couple of months ago!

The reason I'm comparing products is that I split my weeks between two companies: one is a recent ipMonitor convert (previously no monitoring solution) and the other a medium-term WUG customer (previously HP OV NNM, but the annual maintenance bill was more than WUG's purchase price).  I simply saw a new feature in WUG v12 that I thought would look good on ipMonitor and would offer great value.  Of the two products, I definitely prefer ipMonitor.

Thanks for your feedback.  Be interesting to see what the rest of the user community think of SSGs.  The static screenshots probably don't do them justice.  You really need to see the graph crawling in from the right-hand side with live realtime data to appreciate the power and value of this useful tool.

Rgds, Simon

mark wiggans

Has anyone successfully hooked up a Wavecom Fastrack Supreme GSM modem to ipMonitor 9 for SMS alerting?  We've been suggested this model by a local reseller and I want to make sure it is going to work before buying it.

Thanks - Simon

Simon- Did you setup the alert via this? https://support.ipmonitor.com/helps/9b4d3ed2f0284655b358fd0fbea4c7f4.aspx

In house, we are using the following modem: GSM/GPRS called “M2M Express” from Bluetree. The technical specification can be found here

http://www.bluetreewireless.com/products/wireless/details.asp?id=29

The customer tested modems that I am aware of are

-Siemens MC35i -M2M-GPRS-S