5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2008 7:54 PM by HemiTruck

Advanced Alerts built off Custom poller information

HemiTruck

There was a Beautiful write up on how to report on Custom poller data in post Re: Custom Poller Inventory Report

and now I would like to get some advanced alerts going on that same data.

I am pulling current temp and critical temp from servers with 2 separate custom pollers and would like to have alerts that fire when the current temp gets with in 50 (which equals 5 degrees) of the Critical temp.

the status pulled from the MIB is always in tenths of a degree

example would be a server giving a current temp of 420 and the Critical Temp is 470.

when i write the trigger it goes like this

Condition group apply when all conditions are met

poller_name = current_temp

numeric_status >= 420

condition group apply when all conditions are met

poller_name = Critical_temp

numeric_status = 470

I think it is not working due to the fact that the records from the custom poller are stored as separate records and so it never associates the critical temp with the current temp based on the nodeID.

the above does not work but each condition group will work separately

If you have any ideas on this please let me know

• Re: Advanced Alerts built off Custom poller information
          qle
          Your condition will never be true since the poller_name can't be equal to both "critical_temp" and "current_temp". Why do you even have the second condition group anyway? I hope I'm not misunderstanding you here but you simply want the alert to trigger at or above 420. If that's the case, the first two conditions should be sufficient, I would think.
              HemiTruck

I have two pollers one for Crit temp and one for Current Temp both running on a group of servers, 

problem is that i have different types of servers that have different critical temps.

I have servers that have critical temps of  470, 500, 550, 600, 630, 800, 850, 900, 1250

and was hoping to make a single alert with multiple triggers to handle this job

I guess it is possible to do this with multiple alerts adding only certain servers into the trigger, but the maintenance for these multiple rules will be a pain.

The main issue still remains that the custom poller data is being kept as two records even though both records belong to one nodeID.

Any chance this can be fixed in upcomming releases of Orion?

qle
                  One suggestion would be to have an alert that contains multiple condition groups. Each condition group would be a test for each different critical temp. For example, it could like something like this (using your first two critical temps).

Trigger Alert when any of the following apply

Trigger Alert when [u]all[/u] of the following apply

Crit temp is equal to 470

Current temp is greater than or equal to 420

Triggler Alert when [u]all[/u] of the following apply

Crit temp is equal to 500

Current temp is greater than or equal to 450

If you extend this to include all of your critical temps, it can get a little messy. It's a little better than having to maintain multiple alerts but hopefully, it should accomplish what you're looking to do.
                  HemiTruck

ok ended up with a massive trigger on this one due to the way i had to implement it.

ill try to outline it so others may use it if it will be helpful.

Trigger Alert when all of the following apply

Poller_Name is equal to temperatureProbeReading

Numeric status is greater than or equal to 400

NodeName is equal to Server_1

NodeName is equal to Server_2

<continue list of all servers with 470 critical temp>

Trigger Alert when all of the following apply

Poller_Name is equal to temperatureProbeReading

Numeric status is greater than or equal to 510

NodeName is equal to Server_3

NodeName is equal to Server_4

<continue list of all servers with 600 critical temp>

this can then be repeated for all other temperatures your servers have.

The MAIN problem with this is that it has to be updated every time you change the server hardware.

Granted that does not happen a lot but it is still a concern.

I was able to wirte a SQL statement that did the double run on the table to print a single line of information for each server but did not have the option to place that code in here for the trigger to work from.

So this still does not do the compare we all want but if you find it helpful i am glad I was able to figure this out and share it with the community as i have recieved many helpful hints from here.