1 Reply Latest reply on May 14, 2008 1:59 PM by denny.lecompte

My top 7 ... =^)

SLXer

1.Integrate toolset items into the Orion web suite as services if they are installed together. Many of these tools would have much more individual value if they had this capability. It goes back to the serving the purpose of having an Orion web portal in the first place, to have one stop shopping for all the information you need.

DHCP Scope viewer

DNS

IP Scanner

Port Scanner

2. Unified Alert interface.

3. Put release dates next to patches on the main website.

4. Add more service functionality to the application monitor. Of personal interest is DHCP monitoring. The interface leaves a bit to be desired.. and where is the alerting functionality?

5. Netflow alerts. The critical value that Orion has always been its ability to enable a group to be more proactive. The current netflow product offers no real time alerting functionality. It seems to me it would make sence to allow the same kind of dynamic alerting functionality you have with the syslog, alerting on event types that match type, port or ip. (See request #2)

6. Figure out how to integrate Cisco LWAPP compatibility into the wireless management module. Cisco holds 63% of the WLAN market. I know this horse has been well beaten..

7. I think if you want the portal to be more integral to an organization giving better options for personalizing the site would be a good step in that direction. Different strokes for different folks. 

Here is a good example.. Lets sey you create a portal view for your desktop department and you want to have a page integrated into the site with some basic information about the site (this is lvl1 support) so some general insrtuctions.. perhaps a contact list.. You can think of quite a few things things that should be very easy to do and would have a great amount of value here.

*Bonus Request - A built in page in the portal that lists all the Solarwinds current product version info.

• Re: My top 7 ... =^)
          denny.lecompte
          1.Integrate toolset items into the Orion web suite as services if they are installed together. Many of these tools would have much more individual value if they had this capability. It goes back to the serving the purpose of having an Orion web portal in the first place, to have one stop shopping for all the information you need.

This is possible, but they wouldn't be part of the existing Toolset.  Just like Orion was born as a separate product out of the Toolset, these tools would probably be add-ons if they were to run as services, etc.  When we turn a product into a service and put it on the web, it's more expensive to build, maintain, and support, so we can't afford to do it for the price of Toolset.  Given that, would you still want it?

2. Unified Alert interface.

Agreed and on the roadmap.

3. Put release dates next to patches on the main website.

Interesting suggestion.  I'll pass it on to the folks who control that. 

4. Add more service functionality to the application monitor. Of personal interest is DHCP monitoring. The interface leaves a bit to be desired.. and where is the alerting functionality?

What do you want to do with DHCP that we don't do today?  Can you be more specific?

5. Netflow alerts. The critical value that Orion has always been its ability to enable a group to be more proactive. The current netflow product offers no real time alerting functionality. It seems to me it would make sence to allow the same kind of dynamic alerting functionality you have with the syslog, alerting on event types that match type, port or ip. (See request #2)

Can you provide more details on the alerts you would like to set up?  You say a little, but detail would help.  Explaining the business problem you're trying to solve is even better.

6. Figure out how to integrate Cisco LWAPP compatibility into the wireless management module. Cisco holds 63% of the WLAN market. I know this horse has been well beaten..

Right.  We're thinking about what we can do.  I can hardly bear to look at the horse at this point.

7. I think if you want the portal to be more integral to an organization giving better options for personalizing the site would be a good step in that direction. Different strokes for different folks. 

Here is a good example.. Lets sey you create a portal view for your desktop department and you want to have a page integrated into the site with some basic information about the site (this is lvl1 support) so some general insrtuctions.. perhaps a contact list.. You can think of quite a few things things that should be very easy to do and would have a great amount of value here.

I'm assuming by "portal" that you mean the Orion web console.  I think we have the customers who do what you're describing today, using the Custom HTML resource.  We use  Custom HTML because the needs are so idiosyncratic; it's difficult to create purpose-built resources precisely because of the differences between folks and their strokes.