This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Migrate Solarwinds to another host

We are having constant issues with our Solarwinds box locking up.  We have upgraded to the latest version and hotfixes but it still locks up two to four times a week.

We are at a point now where we are ready to try new hardware.  We would like to migrate our Solarwinds installation from one host to another.  The database will remain on a separate host (MS SQL2005 on Dual 64 bit Dell with 16GB RAM). 

Is there any documentation that would help us transition the Solarwinds installation to another host?  How do I install the bits on the new host while utilizing the existing database?

• Thank you for the document.

Is there any additional information I need to know if our plan is to migrate to a new host with a new hostname, but then change the IP address of the host so that the Solarwinds IP address remains the same?  In other words, we expect to take the old solarwinds host offline and change the IP address then bring the new Solarwinds host online with the IP address the old host had. 

Will this be an issue?

•  

The document explains how to reassign nodes in detail, this should not be a problem. When changing the IP addresses on the Orion Server, database and Web Site.

Make sure all the SolarWinds services are stopped.
     Change the IP address on the Servers NIC
      Re-Start all the services
     Once all the services have started the Orion application should register the new IP address. If this does not work you can change it manually in the database. The information is located in the "Engines" table.

You will need to stop the polling services, open the Database Manager and connect to the SQL server. Once done, expand the database, find the Engines table, right-click on the engines table and choose Query table. Hit refresh and look at the data that populates.

Do you have one or two engines? If you have just the one, change the radial to read-write and change the IP address, then restart the SolarWinds services. If there is more than one the go to Start > Programs > SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor > Advanced Features > Monitor Polling Engines. In there go to Poller Load Balancing. In the next screen click on the first node, hold down the shift key and click on the last node. Then go to Polling Engines > Move selected nodes to > choose the engine. Click done, then restart the services. This should resolve the issue.

• What are the extra steps needed if I need to also move the APM and Netflow modules to the new server?

thanks,

Brad

• Moving Netflow you need to redirect the flows the new servers IP address. For APM you need to recreate the credentials or you might receive this error support.solarwinds.com/.../ProblemDetail.cfm

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mark_wiggans

I want to shift the services to a new machine. With help from the migration document i was able to migrate the database to the new machine. Re-assigned the nodes to the new polling engine and pooooofff they were there in the Systems Managers utility. But the basic/advance alerts that i had configured on the old machine are not there. What needs to be done to migrate all the alerts from old machine to the new one. ????

• I am looking to do the same type of conversion to a new host.  Have the instructions changed at all over the past 3 years?  I haven't been able to find any updated migration instructions.

• Hi! There is a more recent version of this migration document for 2011:

http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/orion/docs/OrionServerMigration.pdf

Thanks To Silver Guillermo of Solarwinds Technical Support!

THanks much,

Cheryl Matrasko