This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Changing monitor values via mass monitor edit across all managed devices

Hi - a couple of questions please,

Is it possible to change the threshold value of say the bandwidth monitor across the board for all bandwidth monitors in one go?  I assume you'd use mass edit but don't see any options here.

Can you delete a monitor from all servers using mass edit?

Any help much appreciated (again)

Thanks Andrew

• I can't speak on whether that exact setting of the bandwidth monitor can be modified via the Mass Edit feature, but in general, yes, these sorts of things can be done using Mass Edit.  If you don't see the option, make sure that you're showing the proper "feature set" inside the Mass Edit page.  In other words, when the window pops up and gives you the list of things to change, look down at the bottom and find the drop-down box which lets you modify the type of monitor settings to change.  Cycle through them until you find the right set.

As for using Mass Edit to delete, you can just do a search for the monitors within the Devices tab and when they all show up in the results, select all and delete.  To search in the Devices tab, look up at the top left-hand corner and you'll see a text box.  You can enter a lot of different types of search criteria in here, including custom tag information.  For instance, I have a custom tag called "interface" which denotes the interface on which a particular monitor resides.  If I want to search for all the monitors that contain "Serial0/1", I enter the following in the box, select the teeny-tiny almost invisible arrow next to the text box, and choose "Monitors/Search by Tag":

interface=Serial0/1

If all your monitors have a common name, such as "[server] CPU", just search for "CPU", hit Enter (you don't have to choose a search option if you're just searching for monitor names), and the items should appear in the right-hand pane.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks for the reply.  I'm a little bit apprehensive reagrding changing properties in mass edit (I'm quite new to IPMonitor).

If something jumped out at me in mass edit like 'Bandwidth Monitor/Adjust Thresholds' then I'd attempt a change straight away.  Maybe this is something to be added in a future release - more granular control through mass edit.

• One nice thing that you may already know about Mass Edit is that it allows you to view the changes prior to committing them.  I personally have had minimal problems with Mass Edit and it was all how certain characters within Monitor Names were handled by the mass edit engine.  I've not had issues with changing settings of monitors, although I agree that there are definitely some missing values that need to be added.
  •  Hi again - i checked I was making the right changes in mass edit by adding tabs to show what should be happening but some didn't end up correct, probably something I done.

Just out of intrest, I'll be adding more device to IPMonitor, is there a way to set a monitors default values?  e.g. set IPmonitor so all new bandwidth monitors have a set of custom thresholds (saves me having to do them one by one, or make a mess of it again after the event) 

• Unfortunately, the current version of ipMonitor does not support template-like per-monitor default setting changes.  I do know that there is interest from Solarwinds in putting this type of functionality into later versions of ipMonitor.  The only default settings that you can change currently are timing settings.

To get around this, if the situation fits, I create a blank monitor with the settings I need, then clone that monitor and configure the device-specific properties. 

• Thanks for the info, will give it a whirl.