12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2014 8:15 PM by wanine39

Netflow v3

d-moore

Tech support has been great. I have tried all I could. Just can't use my production machine as a beta test site and have hours of downtime trying to troubleshoot a netflow issue.  At tech supports request I truncated all my netflow data tables to zero size.  V3 still would not install it continued to hang a the same place.

So, I just removed netflow V3, the removal of V3 didn't effect my exsiting NPM or other data or settings.

Going to leave netflow  off my server till v3.1 or something further down the line is released.  Till then I will rely on freeware scrutinizer to give me my netflow info..

Sometimes you get it right, other times you don't. For my install this is one of those "don't" times.

Good luck to all of those in their V3 battles. Hope you come out victorious over the evil netflow bugs! ;)

• Re: Netflow v3
          Andy McBride

d-moore,

I'm sorry to hear your experience upgrading to 3.0 did not go well. We do have an extensive true beta program which I invite you to participate in in the future. I would like to have the chance to talk to you more about this. I value all input from the user community.

Andy

achrich

How about Solarwinds customers with registered maintenance agreements dev licenses so we can run these upgrades on dev boxes without having to pay for addititional licenses for each module ?

Im fairly happy with Solarwinds but it seems that every upgrade has generated problems for someone at some point which points to an issue with the way they do the beta testing.

bbusbey

achrich your right!

I have asked for this before.If Solarwinds would allow these modules to be installed on separate servers and NOT PRODUCTION servers, we could deal with these problems without affecting Orion.Currently, Netflow v3 can't run, it runs of of memory. And now when it does try to run, if fills up the transaction log after which it can't connect to the database anymore.

BryanBecker

As much as I love SW and their products I now know not to upgrade to a new version for at least a month after its been release because of issues like these.  I have had the same headaches before.  I know its hard because the new versions have alot of cool stuff in them but not worth these sorts of issues.

But I do appreciate this forum even more and posters bringing light to these issues.

BB

swnorth

I had the same luck with netflow 3.0.

I ran the upgrade and it locked up during the install with an = > < error. I got Tech support to send me the fix. I installed the fix and then Netflow said it was not licensed even after it went and finished getting the license from the Solarwinds site. Tech support had me remove the all the Keys in the Solarwinds registry. I relicensed everything.  I then then tried to run config wizard and it would hang up and never complete. After a day of this it turned out that the SQL database (47GB) was corrupted as it was stuck in a constant rollback state trying to go back to before Netflow3 was installed. I ended up restoring my Orion Server and my SQL database from tapes back to before the change. I will wait until Netflow 3.0 bugs are worked out.

I agree I wish there was a way to have second copy of all my Solarwinds running so we could test out the changes. I some of the same issues a couple months ago when we upgraded to APM ALX.

Orion SL2000 - Wireless - APM - AM - Netflow 2.2.1 - Eng 9.2

Cirrus SL100

denny.lecompte
                              I agree I wish there was a way to have second copy of all my Solarwinds running so we could test out the changes. I some of the same issues a couple months ago when we upgraded to APM ALX.

One suggestion for testing before upgrading in production is to copy your production database to a test database.  Upgrade the test database to find any issues before you upgrade production. 

I'd also suggest that waiting a couple of weeks post-GA is not a bad idea.  No matter how much internal and beta testing we do, there are always bumps that we only find in real environments.  If you wait a little, we'll uncover those and fix them or at least know how to quickly resolve the issue.

achrich

Denny,

How do we go about testing the upgrades on a test server without having to buy additional licenses ?  

denny.lecompte

Copy your database, and then upgrade using an evaluation copy.  The code is the same except for the time limit.

achrich

Which means we have the pain of contacting SW`s everytime to get a new key and then deal with the licensing issues for all the different modules that come with it....not pratical for everyone.

A better idea would be to give regisitered customers a single user license to play with that doesn`t expiry....then we can actually participate in betas, upgrades without fear of taking production offline.

denny.lecompte
                                              Which means we have the pain of contacting SW`s everytime to get a new key and then deal with the licensing issues for all the different modules that come with it....

Actually, can just download the evals for NPM and your modules.  Copy your database, and then upgrade via the evaluations.  Your license is never touched.  This is the process that beta customers use.

BTW, when you do need to reset your license for other reasons, you can download our new License Manager from your customer portal. 

http://support.solarwinds.com/support/default.cfm

NEW! License Manager Makes It Easy to Move Software to a New Server
                                              SolarWinds now provides a free application that makes it easy to move your SolarWinds software (excluding LANsurveyor and ipMonitor) to a new server. Download the application today from the Customer Portal on the SolarWinds website. 

Hi all,

well can any tell me the latest stable versions for NPM & NTA built in package.
                              Currenlty im using Orion NPM v8 SLX with NTA 3.0.

Also using Netflow v3.0 webconsole, is there anyway that i can disable DNS lookup? as it takes lot of time resolving dns queries...

thanks,
                              Rizwan