1 2 3 Previous Next 117 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2016 3:32 PM by mesverrum

How long each interface or node was down.

Gob

For 10.6

What's new.

Relative time period

Show durations more or less selected value.

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-121942

1.jpg

2.jpg

Message was edited by: Gob

• 1. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
          sgreath

Thanks!  Another sweet addition.  Nice job Gob!

• 2. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
            KGaudineer

I am having a problem trying to figure out where to place the files.  I am using a Windows server 2003 but the admins would not leave enough space on drive 'C:\' for the website.  There I have the website built on drive D:\.  The directory path for the website is
            D:\dmnpm web\Orion.   We are currently running the Orion 8.5.1 relase. 

What I have tried up to now is editing the legacyProxy.config file which is located in the
            d:\dmnpm\Orion\  directory.  After adding the lines in the readme.txt file all of the maps that my customers were viewing went blank and did not come back until I removed those 4 lines.

I have also placed the files from the C--InetPub--Solarwinds--NetPerfMon--Resources--1-1--SummaryReports folder into the 'd:\dmnpm web\NetPerfMon\Resources\1-1 Summary Reports folder'

I have also placed the C--InetPub--SolarWinds--NetperfMon files in the
            D:\dmnpm web\NetPerfMon\ folder. 

The layout and presentation of the Summary page for the outages looks very good and I would like to correct the problem I have if possible.  Any suggestions on what I can do to solve my problem of not being able to view the sumamry page or blanking the other pages out would be greatly appreciated.

• 3. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
              profzoom1

Thanks this is up and working like a champ.

A couple of questions since I am no SQL guru,

How do I limit the time frame from 8 am to 5 PM Monday through Friday?

How can I filter switch interfaces for user PC's that are not critical to the switch being up?

• 4. Re: How long each interface or node was down.

I am unable to find the "legacyproxy.config file.  I have the c:\inetpub\solarwinds directory, but no Orion in it.  I have even done a search for the file and haven't been able to find it.

could it be named something else?

• 5. Re: How long each interface or node was down.

This summary page looks great!  I would really like to display it on our Orion setup.  I am having trouble setting it up though.  Added the legacyproxy.config lines, and moved the oher files to the proper directories, but I do not see any new resources available to add to my web views.  I am looking under the summary tab, and I only see the default views available.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• 6. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
                    sjacisin

I am having the same issue. I have put all the files in the correct place, but I cannot find where to look at them, where to add them, etc.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

S

• 7. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
                      Gob

http://thwack.com/photos/customized_maps/picture41385.aspxTry this

#1 Click Admin
                      #2 Manage Views
                      #3 Add new summary page
                      #4 Click "+" to add a Resourses
                      #5 Add my resourses

#6 Click Preview
                      #7 On Preview page add custom parameters(You must click Edit button) to each resourse

http://thwack.com/photos/customized_maps/picture41386.aspx
                      #8 Enjoy

If You do not like edit a legacyProxy.config  do not do this.

if you do not see my resourses try to change permissions for my files

http://thwack.com/photos/customized_maps/picture41383.aspx

Message was edited by: Michael Torok I apologize for the broken links here. Some pictures seem to have been missed during our migration March 2012. This looks like it was a procedure on how to add a custom resource to NPM. You can find that information here, also: http://www.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/SolarWinds/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=OrionCoreAGEditingViews.htm.

• 8. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
                        lchance

thanks GOB - great work - works like a charm...

question - i'd like a single View each for 1 Day then another for 7 Days then last one for 30 Days rather than allowing my user to use EDIT when they needed to change sensitivity. how can i do this?

i intend to use this scheme for only a certain group and will be using a SQL Filter to display only their Nodes. 

can LOCATION be included along with CAPTION, is that possible?

thanks again - this is great stuff - users are liking it very much...

cheers.

LC

• 9. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
                          Gob

Good idea. I'll think about it 

• 11. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
                            lchance

i made the changes with v1.01 but the new additions (outlined in green in your screenshot) do not show up.

like:

HIDE CHANGE PARAMETERS

HIDE SQL REQUESTS...etc

any idea? is something sticking in a cache somewhere? (i did clear the browser cache)

• 12. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
                              Gob

Very strange... This is mine previous files.  Redownload this file. Filename must be res_nid_14.08.08.zip

• 13. Re: How long each interface or node was down.

This is great, what I'm looking for is a report that will be e-mailed. However I've run into some questions.

For starters, I'm using the node query that uses a single line for each event, it suits my needs. Secondly, I'm using a custom field to make sure that I only see routers at remote locations, not individual servers. Lastly, I've added eventtime so that I can see when the outage occured. There is where my problem lies.

I'd like to sort by eventtime. Also, is there anyway to run a report out of this in Report Writer? Thanks for making this, its very helpful. Heres my settings for reference:

• 14. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
                                  Gob

Hi. If you want to sort by eventtime you must use "How Long Each ***was down". NOT Summary. In Summary It does not make sense. Example

How Long Each Node was down

routerA            10.02.2009 11:10                               10min

routerA            10.02.2009 12:10                               20min

routerA            10.02.2009 13:10                               13min

routerB            10.02.2009 13:15                               17min

routerB            10.02.2009 14:15                               03min

How Long Each Node was down.Summary.

routerA                                                                       33min

routerB                                                                       20min

In Summary you’ll see the last eventtime only:   

10.02.2009 13:10 for routerA  and  

10.02.2009 14:15 for routerB

SQL query for How Long Each Node was down. You can add it into ReportWriter

---!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                  set dateformat dmy
                                  declare @period smallint
                                  declare @periodbegin datetime
                                  declare @periodend datetime
                                  declare @Sensitivity smallint

--Add here Sensitivity (min), period(days) or periodbegin/periodend==========
                                  set @Sensitivity=10
                                  set @period=''
                                  set @periodbegin='20-02-2009'
                                  set @periodend='01-03-2009'
                                  --======================================================================
                                  if @period!=''
                                  begin
                                  set @periodbegin=(GetDate()-@period)
                                  set @periodend=getdate()
                                  end
                                  if @periodend='' set @periodend=getdate()

SELECT
                                  StartTime.EventTime,
                                  (SELECT TOP 1 EventTime FROM Events AS Endtime
                                           WHERE
                                           EndTime.EventTime > StartTime.EventTime AND
                                           EndTime.EventType = 5 AND
                                           EndTime.NetObjectType = 'N' AND
                                           EndTime.NetworkNode = StartTime.NetworkNode
                                           ORDER BY EndTime.EventTime)
                                  AS UpEventTime,
                                   Nodes.Caption,
                                  ------------------------------Add here another column-------------------
                                  --address,         
                                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------                      
                                  DATEDIFF(Mi, StartTime.EventTime, (SELECT TOP 1 EventTime FROM Events AS Endtime 
                                  WHERE 
                                           EndTime.EventType = 5 AND EndTime.NetObjectType = 'N' AND
                                           EndTime.NetworkNode = StartTime.NetworkNode ORDER BY EndTime.EventTime))
                                  AS OutageDurationInMinutes

FROM Events StartTime INNER JOIN Nodes ON 
                                  StartTime.NetworkNode = Nodes.NodeID
                                  WHERE
                                  (StartTime.EventType = 1) AND
                                  (StartTime.NetObjectType = 'N') AND (
                                  ---------------------------------period---------------------
                                   EventTime > @periodbegin 
                                  AND EventTime < @periodend 
                                  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                   )and (DATEDIFF(Mi, StartTime.EventTime, (SELECT TOP 1 EventTime FROM Events AS Endtime 
                                  WHERE 
                                  EndTime.EventType = 5 AND EndTime.NetObjectType = 'N' AND
                                  EndTime.NetworkNode = StartTime.NetworkNode ORDER BY EndTime.EventTime)))
                                  --------------------------------------Sensitivity (min)-----------------------
                                                              > @Sensitivity
                                  ---------------------------------------Add here another filter---------------------
                                  --                                             and caption like '%pix%'
                                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                            

ORDER BY StartTime.EventTime asc
                                  --ORDER BY caption asc
                                  --ORDER BY OutageDurationInMinutes desc

SQL query for How Long Each Interface was down. You can add it into ReportWriter too.

set dateformat dmy
                                  declare @period smallint
                                  declare @periodbegin datetime
                                  declare @periodend datetime
                                  declare @Sensitivity smallint

--Add here Sensitivity (min), period(days) or periodbegin/periodend==========
                                  set @Sensitivity=10
                                  set @period=''
                                  set @periodbegin='20-02-2009'
                                  set @periodend='01-03-2009'
                                  --======================================================================
                                  if @period!=''
                                  begin
                                  set @periodbegin=(GetDate()-@period)
                                  set @periodend=getdate()
                                  end
                                  if @periodend='' set @periodend=getdate()

SELECT
                                  StartTime.EventTime,
                                  (SELECT TOP 1 EventTime FROM Events AS Endtime
                                           WHERE
                                           EndTime.EventType = 11 AND
                                           EndTime.NetObjectType = 'I' AND
                                           EndTime.NetworkNode = StartTime.NetworkNode
                                           ORDER BY EndTime.EventTime)
                                  AS UpEventTime,

------------------------------Add here anoter column-------------------
                                  --Nodes.Caption,
                                  --address,
                                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------                      
                                  cast (StartTime.Message as varchar(255) ) as Message,
                                  DATEDIFF(Mi, StartTime.EventTime, (SELECT TOP 1 EventTime FROM Events AS Endtime 
                                  WHERE 
                                           EndTime.EventType = 11 AND EndTime.NetObjectType = 'I' AND
                                           EndTime.NetworkNode = StartTime.NetworkNode ORDER BY EndTime.EventTime))
                                  AS OutageDurationInMinutes
                                  FROM Events StartTime INNER JOIN Nodes ON 
                                  StartTime.NetworkNode = Nodes.NodeID
                                  WHERE
                                  (StartTime.EventType = 10) AND
                                  (StartTime.NetObjectType = 'I') AND (
                                  ---------------------------------Add here period (days)---------------------
                                   EventTime > @periodbegin 
                                  AND EventTime < @periodend 
                                  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                  ) and (DATEDIFF(Mi, StartTime.EventTime, (SELECT TOP 1 EventTime FROM Events AS Endtime 
                                  WHERE 
                                  EndTime.EventType = 11 AND EndTime.NetObjectType = 'I' AND
                                  EndTime.NetworkNode = StartTime.NetworkNode ORDER BY EndTime.EventTime)))
                                  --------------------------------------Sensitivity (min)-----------------------
                                                                 > @Sensitivity
                                  ---------------------------------------Add here another filter---------------------
                                  --                                       and caption like '%pix%'
                                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                            
                                  --ORDER BY StartTime.EventTime asc
                                  --ORDER BY caption asc
                                  --ORDER BY OutageDurationInMinutes desc
                                  --ORDER BY Message asc

• 15. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
                                    lchance

this is really great work Gob!

thank you very much!

• 16. Re: How long each interface or node was down.

Thanks again Gob, I believe I can do what I need with your SQL Query, however I'd like to see what you can do first. Here's why I'm using the summary report instead of the standard report.

Standard Report:

Summary Report:

Maybe I sound a little too picky, but the summary report can fit an entire page of data, where the standard report you have to scroll down to receive the same amount of data. The end time and start time really aren't necessary. Nor is the second that the event started or ended.

If I could just see "Node Down Time:", then "Duration", that would be optimal. If you Expand the "Node Down Time", then it would all fit on one line, be sorted by node down time. And meet all my needs.

Let me know what you think.

• 17. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
                                        neilmborilla

Good Job GOB. Thanks for sharing man! May I request somethin like a Graph of the report?

• 18. Re: How long each interface or node was down.

Hi, this is really neat.  I completed all the steps listed as #1-#8, but I still am unable to view the output as seen in your .jpg's.

Am I missing a critical step here?

Thank you.

• 19. Re: How long each interface or node was down.

OK, I figured out that you have to goto Customize Network Summary Home; but I am clueless as to what to put in the "Do you like SQL?" to create the filters.

Thank you very much, it IS REALLY NEAT.

• 20. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
                                              Gob

News.  Added "Hide UpTime" parameter, added filtered popup on each "Summary" message.

but I am clueless as to what to put in the "Do you like SQL?" to create the filters.

Hi. You can use a filter for Nodes and Events tables. Example.

caption='My_router' or caption like '%PIX%' and vendor='cisco' 

message like '%serial%'

• 21. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
                                                JosephRLee

Good day.

I stumbled on this report and would like to give it a try, but it seems the downlad is bad. It downloads as "res_nid_12.03.09.zip" and gives me the an "invalid or currpt zip file error".

Thanks

• 23. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
                                                  JosephRLee

Thanks for the reply and the link, but I'm getting the same corrupt file. Any chance you could try ity and see if its corrupt for you also ? I have tried downloading it from work and home, same result.

• 24. Re: How long each interface or node was down.
                                                    Gob

Very strange.  I repacked it. Redownload it again.

1 2 3 Previous Next