3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2008 11:07 AM by Peter.Cooper

8.5 and 9 on Same Server?

erharj

How can I install 9.0 simultaneously on the same server with my existing 8.5 installation?

• Re: 8.5 and 9 on Same Server?
          Peter.Cooper
          Hello erharj,

No. The installer will always upgrade the 8.5 installation. Even if you did manage to get two installs on the same box, only one will run at a time. If you're looking to test v9 and still run your production v8.5 installation, I recommend running v9 on a separate box and use the "backup now feature" and "v9 restore utility" when you're ready to go live.

erharj

Ok, thanks.  What I am interested in doing is using this upgrade as a time to completely start from scratch with version 9 and create new monitors, and do cleanup while reviewing and copying my monitor points from 8.5.....side by side...when one is up in 9, remove from 8.5.

Can I license both at tht same time?

Peter.Cooper
                  Yes... with the "Emergency Licensing" built into the SolarWinds License Manager. The Emergency License is a temporary (short lived) license designed to help customers through the weekend or in the middle of the night. You can use one of those licenses against v8.5 and give your v9 the full license.

If you run out of time, the support staff can assist you with elongating your emergency license.