This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

can you Monitor and report on Page File usage with IPMonitor 9?

Hi there - a couple of questions please.

I've got the eval edition of IPMonitor 9 and have found the page file useage counters under Exchange/SQL monitors, but how can I monitor/report on these counters directly.  I can only seem to monitor and report at the 'Monitor' level, not the 'counter' level.

Also SQL, I can't seem to get monitoring working the error I get is 'Unable to connect to the remote device'

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

• Hi Andrew, thank you for taking the time to evaluate ipMonitor.  Monitoring these performance counters directly isn't available today.  We plan to add the ability to report on the counters collected by the monitors in the next release.  In the interim, you can leverage our External Process Monitor to monitor performance counters using a custom script.  

Our support team can provide you an example script and help you get your SQL monitor up and running.  I would recommend submitting a ticket (set SolarWinds product = "ipMonitor evaluation"):  

https://forms.netsuite.com/app/site/crm/externalcasepage.nl?compid=638609&formid=12&h=3d0552f20b2e9bd6580b

Cheers,

• Thanks for the reply, got a ticket raised also.  just have a few more question splease :-)

Can you let me know what the roadmap is for IPmonitor? 

Is this a product you are going to be supporting and developing for a numbers of years, into Server 2008 and beyond?  

When support costs are renewed yearly, do these entitle you to free upgrades on newer version, of are these to be paid for?

How long do you continue to support older version once a new one is released?

Thanks again

• Can you let me know what the roadmap is for IPmonitor? 

We're actually in the planning stages for the next release so if you have enhancement requests,  we'd love to hear them.   At a high-level, you can expect to see more monitors and more built-in best practices on what/how to monitor your infrastructure.

Is this a product you are going to be supporting and developing for a numbers of years, into Server 2008 and beyond?  

Absolutely.  We're already doing investigation on Windows 2008, Firefox 3 Beta, and IE 8.

When support costs are renewed yearly, do these entitle you to free upgrades on newer version, of are these to be paid for?

Yes, annual maintenance includes access to free upgrades and continued full technical support.

How long do you continue to support older version once a new one is released?

We will typically EOL older versions after two subsequent Major releases.   Historically, we have had at least 1 major and 1 minor release per year.  

How is your ipMonitor evaluation working out for you?  Are you in contact with anyone from sales?

• Thanks for the reply.

The eval's working out OK and sales have been in touch.

What size is your biggest customer in terms of monitored systems and used monitors?  Were a growing business and need to be sure that what monitoring solution we put in place can scale well so we don't have to remove it in 1-2 years time and implement  different solution.

Thanks again.

• No problem.   Who are you working with?   I'd like to ensure they're in the loop w/ our Thwack conversation.   We have several customers with 4000-5000 monitors and 500+ servers.  We find many of these larger customers are migrating to Orion to get the additional capabilities of distributed scalability, NetFlow traffic analysis, VoIP WAN monitoring, etc.   So, we have a solution path for you with ipMonitor as your organization grows and a migration path to Orion as your requirements expand beyond fault monitoring.  

• Hi, thanks for the reply. 

I work with a manufactring group with offices worldwide.  We're currently rolling out infrastructure country by country, site by site and looking at monitoring approx 70-80 servers.  These are with a mix of file, DC, apps, messaging etc and expect this number growing upwards of 100 in the next 2-3 years.  My manager is in the loop already as I've forwarded the link to this thread to him yeaterday.  Also he's seen your product as both myself and another Analyst have been trialing it.

Thanks for the info again.

• Thanks for info. Please let me know if there's any other questions I can answer for you.

Cheers,

-Chris