19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2010 12:08 PM by greg@solarwinds.net

TFTP Service times out and will not start

I installed verion 9.2 of the Standard Toolset on my test system before deploting to 300+ fielded systems.

The only problem I have (and it is a show stopper) is that the TFTP Server (version 9.2.0.47) never starts the TFTP Service.  The Windows System Log and the TFTP Server log both agree to that fact.

As solution would be GREATLY appreiciated

From the TFTP Server Log:

2008-03-13 16:38:31,726 [Main UI Thread] INFO  TFTPServer.Instance - TFTP sevice: Start() function was invoked.
      2008-03-13 16:39:01,771 [Main UI Thread] ERROR TFTPServer.Instance - "Cannot start SolarWinds Internal TFTP Server"
      System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service SolarWinds TFTP Server on computer 'MPIW-JOE'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
         --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
         at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
         at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start()
         at TFTPServer.Instance.StartService(ServiceController TFTPserviceController)
      2008-03-13 16:39:01,787 [Main UI Thread] INFO  TFTPServer.Instance - TFTP sevice was started

From the Windows System Event Log:

Event Type: Error
      Event Source: Service Control Manager
      Event Category: None
      Event ID: 7009
      Date:  3/13/2008
      Time:  4:39:01 PM
      User:  N/A
      Computer: MPIW-JOE
      Description:
      Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the SolarWinds TFTP Server service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
      Event Source: Service Control Manager
      Event Category: None
      Event ID: 7000
      Date:  3/13/2008
      Time:  4:39:01 PM
      User:  N/A
      Computer: MPIW-JOE
      Description:
      The SolarWinds TFTP Server service failed to start due to the following error:
      The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

• Re: TFTP Service times out and will not start

I forgot to mention, it is a Windows XP SP2 system with ALL security updates installed:

Running the folowing software:

Snare 3.0

Symantec Antivirus Corportate 10.0.2.2000

Kiwi Syslog Server 8.3.7

Kiwi Log Viewer 2.0.11

Open Office 2.3

DWG TrueView 2008

Ethereal 0.10.8

There are NICs in the system

Onboard NICwith multihomed addresses (1 WAN subnet and 15 private subnets)

1 PCI NIC with no protocols assigned for ethereal use only

mark wiggans

Yuu might try some of davidmaltby's suggestion here what  is the matter with TFTP

Thanks Mark,

But that thread doesn't apply, as his first step is the assumption that the TFTP Service is running.

My issue is that the TFTP Service will not start.  The older 2001 free version of the TFTP server worked just fine on these systems.  We are now installing the SolarWinds Toolset and have discovered that the new TFTP server will not start the service.  We will need the capabilities of the new TFTP server as the IOS for our 3825 routers are over 32MB in size and using some of the tools in the toolset use the integrated TFTP swerver and as of now are non functional.

Hey Juan - (love the handle BTW...) There a couple of reasons that the TFTP server service (or any.NET service for that matter) might not start.

First, we need to make sure that the user specified in the "log on" tab for the service properties has enough rights to do to run. If it is set to LocalSystem, that is fine. 

Second, we need to make sure that all the .NET stuff is correctly installed, specifically the .NET 2.0 Runtime.  I have seen where this can get corrupted. A re-install / repair can rectify this.

Third, we used to sign our services executables, and the OS will want to verify the Cert with a CRL.This would require internet access to a CRL server. If the server executable is signed, and we cannot reach a CRL server, then the SCM will timeout when trying to start the service.

If none of these suggestions get you anywhere,  please contact support and create a ticket (reference this thread so we don't waste your time), and that will allow my team to dedicate some troubleshooting time with you.

HTH,

Greg

chris.lapoint

FYI, I did find this thread where a user experienced issues with TFTP service experiencing a socket address conflict with a running process causing it to not start:   TFTP SocketException

If this doesn't help, then as Greg mentioned best bet is to contact support. 

TFTP SocketException 

Greg,

The problem is the 3rd item

"Third, we used to sign our services executables, and the OS will want to verify the Cert with a CRL.This would require internet access to a CRL server. If the server executable is signed, and we cannot reach a CRL server, then the SCM will timeout when trying to start the service."

As I am in travel this week away from our test system sent him the tread to work on the issue.  His response is:

"I attempted to start the service and saw some traffic on the NIC icon. He turned on ethereal and see a DNS request for CRL.THAWTE.COM followed by a web request to the IP 199.7.48.190. The request is repeated a couple times when it goes unanswered. At the end the start process for the service times out.

I tried tweaking some stuff in the Internet settings under advanced->security that seemed applicable but no dice. I did some digging in the Solarwinds files but didn’t see anything yet.

Is there a way to start the TFTP service without WEB access? You’d think it wouldn’t be a requirement."

These system will NOT have internet access, so we will need a method of preventing the TFTP Service from attempting to access the internet.

Larry

Check your Services and see if it is set to start manually. Change it to automatic if you plan on using it for all your TFTP needs. Some Cisco products have their own built in TFTP service in which case you should stop the SolarWinds TFTP Service. Otherwise there is a conflict and the built in Cisco won't start becasue TFTP is already running.

Also, you can stat and stop the SolarWinds TFTP in Windows by right clicking on the TFTP ICON in the taskbar.

I was having the same problem but went about my solution a bit differently.

I have found that windows (microsoft) can be very touchy about the types of things applications try to do within windows - especially starting  a service that enable external connectivity.

Solution that worked the first time for me:

Open up the Services MSC

by going to start run and typing "Services.msc" find the Solarwinds tftp entry and start the service manually from there.

Mine started up just fine from the services.msc but will not and would not start by application initiation.

let me know if that worked for you.

Jamey