This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Unable to install 9.2 SP1

FormerMember
FormerMember

Downloaded v9.2 and installed without issue today.  Downloaded Toolset v9.2 Service Pack and get following error when executing update.exe.

Installing SolarWinds Toolset 9.2 SP1

'REG' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Error: Can't find the Toolset Installation.

Press any key to continue . . .

Has anyone encountered this?

• I am having the same problem. Please help.

Thanks. 

•  JasonKV - REG is a command line utility that ships with XP/2000 that allows a user to modify the registry.

Here are some questions that might help us figure out why it is not working on your system: 

What OS are you running on?

Is reg.exe in your path?

Are you running the update as an adminstrator?

Thanks,

Greg 

• I just spent the time between posts doing some further investigation to see if it was in fact a problem on my side. I have come to a similar conclusion that you have just told me. I have read that although REG.EXE is included with the Windows 2000 package it must be installed manually (not part of auto install). With this in mind I would expect Solarwinds to release a version of the update that is compatible with 2000 in its native state. Just incase I will still answer your questions for accuracy.

OS - Windows 2000.
    REG.EXE is not on my computer anywhere (I searched)...therefore not in my path (I checked).
    I am running Update as an administrator.

•  Thanks Jason - and sorry for the confusion there.  I will update the docs for the service pack to include this important bit of info, as well as make sure the next hotfix plays nice with the native install on 2000.

Thanks,

Greg 

• Just for another point of clarification.

Will you be sending me an Updated version of the current Hot Fix (SP1) that does play nice with 2000? I would expect this as a customer with a purchased product. Although I am Administrator on my PC the core responsibility of administering changes falls on our PC Support group, so changes even as "simple" as adding reg.exe is out of my control. In addition my group has 13 licenses of Engineers Toolset that would need to have their PC's updated in order to have the Engineers Toolset work. This is a very extensive and time-consuming process to get all PC’s updated in order to install a vendor’s application.

•  JasonKV - I feel your pain (I hate dealing with those folks as well).  I will create a zip file and some instructions to manually apply the service pack, and then give those to our support team.  If you will contact them later today, you should be able to get your hands on something that let's you bypass the need for reg.exe.

HTH,

Greg

• Greg you have been very helpful. Would it be possible for me to PM you with my email address. It would be much easier if you could send me via email who exactly to contact or even send me the work around via email. The added process of getting yet another party invovled will only add more confusion and frustration. Thanks again for all your help.

• For any other folks that might be in this same predicament, please contact our support team.  They will have the files and instructions for manually applying the service pack.

HTH,

Greg