5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2008 11:22 AM by JustinY

Netflow Event Errors

rhltechie

Hello,

I am seeing a large amount of errors in my event logs from netflow that state the following:

Event Type:    Error
      Event Source:    NetFlowService
      Event Category:    None
      Event ID:    0
      Date:        2/21/2008
      Time:        1:49:29 PM
      User:        N/A
      Computer:   
      Description:
      Exception: error occurred during packet processing. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I did a search and it is a bug apparently and the solution was the following:

here is a bug fix in the works for this, but in the meantime, running this query should get the messages to stop.

INSERT INTO PortsProtocols
      SELECT ServicePorts.Port, -1 FROM ServicePorts
      WHERE ServicePorts.Port NOT IN
      (
      SELECT PortId FROM PortsProtocols WHERE PortId=ServicePorts.Port
      )

GO
      What exactly does "run this query" mean? In the database manager?

• Re: Netflow Event Errors
          JustinY

I am getting that same error, and none of my NetFlow data is displaying on the web interface.  I dont know if its being imported into that database either not that I care.  I just use NetFlow for realtime troubleshooting.  I have a case open right now with support.  I had to run the Diag utility and get it sent to the development team.  Sure would be nice to have NetFlow back.

I am trying to think of anything that might have caused this today.  So far the only changes I made were.

1. Implement QoS on MPLS network
          2. Add more ports to NetFlow
          3. Updated IP address ranges

I dont think any of those tasks should have created any problems.

I am getting that same error, and none of my NetFlow data is displaying on the web interface.  I dont know if its being imported into that database either not that I care.  I just use NetFlow for realtime troubleshooting.  I have a case open right now with support.  I had to run the Diag utility and get it sent to the development team.  Sure would be nice to have NetFlow back.

I am trying to think of anything that might have caused this today.  So far the only changes I made were.

1. Implement QoS on MPLS network
              2. Add more ports to NetFlow
              3. Updated IP address ranges

I dont think any of those tasks should have created any problems.

#2 may have caused this because of a bug.  Have you tried the SQL query posted above?  I think that will fix the errors for you. 

JustinY

Have you checked in perfmon the SolarWinds counters, and see what your "Netflow Invalid Packet Count" is?  Ours is going through the roof here, and we are getting all those Application Log errors.

What exactly does "run this query" mean? In the database manager?

Yes you would run this in either Database Manager or SQL Management Studio for SQL Server 2005 or Query Analyzer for SQL Server 2000.