3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2008 12:47 AM by Mars

Where to install my toolset

Hello to you all,

I remember reading a threat about the location of installing the engineer’s toolset.
      The problem is i can't find it anymore!!

My question to you gurus is:
      I have bought 2 licenses for the engineer’s toolset where is the best place to install?

Situation:
      dB, Orion and web interfaces installed in country xx
      Manager and myself (functional owner of the app.) working in country xx
      2x Network Guru (the ones who requested for the module) working in country yy

WAN performance is not good enough for RDP working with the app.

Please can anyone advice me?

Greetings,

• Re: Where to install my toolset
          mschwarz

I'd install the tool sets on the network guru's pc's.  There is a function in the orion web interface that you can turn on that allows the network guys to click on a node in the web interface and then right click or click on a function icon (like to ping, trace route, telnet, etc) to that node.  You turn this on under account views / allow browser integration / yes.

Or if you'd like, There is an option in the tool set to publish certain views to a web page.  If you install the tool set on the Orion server itself and keep the tool set up in the background publishing say interface utilization gages on a few circuits then you can serve that particular page to anyone who has HTTP access to the server (without requiring them to login to the web interface). Kind of slick.

But to use the tools to their full advantage, i suggest the first option.

Network_Guru

The software should be installed as close to the devices being managed/monitored as possible.
              The second choice would be on the NGs PCs.

Just be aware some of these tools (switchport mapper) can drive up the CPU on a heavily loaded chassis such as the Cisco 6509 to almost 100%. 

The software should be installed as close to the devices being managed/monitored as possible.
                  The second choice would be on the NGs PCs.

Just be aware some of these tools (switchport mapper) can drive up the CPU on a heavily loaded chassis such as the Cisco 6509 to almost 100%. 

This is the reason for asking because the managed nodes are spread over 14 countries......(with bad WAN performance for a RDP session).
                  The 2 countries with the most nodes/interfaces are xx (location manager an myself) and yy (Location of Guru's).

I thought of installing 1 Toolset in country xx on the server (bud now i am "afraid" of doing that because of the "100% CPU Load") and 1on a guru's laptop...

Any additional advise for me???

Thanks for the suggestions in advance!!!