15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2012 9:29 AM by jpoland

Missing Cisco Mib`s, Catalyst 2960 and 6504-e

Catalyst 2960, 6504-E show up as "Cisco" devices under "Machine type" when i do an SNMP sweep. 2950, 3650, 3750 and 6509-E seem to work ok. It can read SNMP just fine, but it cant identify the switches.

Are the mibs infact missing, or is it my installation? My money is on the mibs.

• Re: Missing Cisco Mib`s, Catalyst 2960 and 6504-e
          jonchill

This is the same for Cirrus and Orion and I think its because Cisco have changed the location of the model in the MIB.

Actually, we have a file in which we keep track of all the SysobjectIDs, and it has either not been updated with the newer OIDs, or you have an older copy.  Can you post the SysObject IDs (and the device description) for the devices in question?

Get the value at:

SNMPv2-MIB:sysObjectID OID     1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2

We'll see what we can do about getting you an updated copy.

HTH,

Greg 

Pau1WH

I am having the same problem, my Cisco 2960 switches are showing as "Cisco" devices in both NCM and NPM. It isn't the end of the world, but it would be good to get it sorted :)

Greg: the value it returns is "ciscoProducts.1016"

Should be a "Cisco Catalyst 2960".

If there is a file I can edit myself can you let me know where it is?

Thanks

Paul

Pau1WH - if Orion and NCM are recognizing the device, let's use their database for the Sysobject information...

To do that:

• Find a file named "SWDiscovery.cfg" located in "%CommonAppData%\SolarWinds" folder (usually "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds") and rename it to back it up.
                      • Find the file named "SWDiscovery.cfg" located in the Orion or NCM installation folders and copy this to the all users location mentioned previously.

*** This might make some older Toolset apps show some interface/vendor icons with a "pinkish" tint, this will be corrected in a future release.

HTH,

Greg

Pau1WH

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply - Unfortunately it doesnt recognise the device in NPM or NCM.. It shows up as "Cisco" on both. I was hoping the SWDiscovery.cfg file would be in plain text so I could fudge it, but no...

Any chance of getting this added to the next release? Cisco 2960s must be reasonably common!

Thanks

Paul

Pau1WH

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Ta

Paul

Paul - Email me and I will get you an updated file.

--Greg

Hey Paul and Greg--

Paul--thanks for staying on top of the request.

Greg, many thnks for handling it.

M

Leo0875

Hi Greg,

I'm having the same issue with Catalyst 2960s not being recognised by Orion. Is there a way to fix this? Should I open a ticket?

cheers,

Leo

Bsulli

I know this is an old thread but I have a TAC case open and this year old thread seems to have the same or similar problem. In our case NPM discovers the newest model of 2960s 48 port switch as a 24 port switch.

According to the Cisco website I can search in the entity mib for our model and find it. Solarwinds does not.

Brian

Garland ISD.

SteveSW

Bsulli,

I recommend opening a support ticket and referencing this thread in the ticket.

--

Steve

Bsulli

I had already opened a case. This is actually a big problem from what I was finding just googling about the subject. Many other folks are having the same problem with their NMS system regardless of which vendor or open source product they are using. I want to post my findings after much time spent on it. First off the problem is not Solarwinds or any other NMS system. The problem turns out that in the S series of 2960 switches they are hard coded to return the wrong model information! Wow. After snmpwalking many various models within the S series switches of which we have many types I brought the findings to our assigned Cisco CCIE when he was on-site yesterday. Findings pointed to the switches. There is now an internal Developer's TAC case open at Cisco to fix the problem.

So that SW customers can verify for themselves if their Cisco products have the problem download the snmpwalk tool from www.net-snmp.org or if you have the engineering tool kit walk the switch to the sysObjectID and check the results. If your switch is one of the problem switches, I.E reports to be 24 port model when it's actually a 48 port then you will see enterprise.9.1208. That is an old model of 24 port 2960 model switch.

Below is what I submitted to our Cisco CCIE and he confirmed the issue.

Master list for 2960 and 2960s. ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/cat2960/cat2960-supportlist.html

Specific mib referenced ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/v2/CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB.my

From Cisco's website

"catWsC2960s48tsS" "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1256"

"catWsC2960s24tsS" "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1257"

"catWsC2960s48fpdL" "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1258"

"catWsC2960s48ldpL" "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1259"

"catWsC2960s48tdL" "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1260"

"catWsC2960s24pdL" "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1261"

"catWsC2960s24tdL" "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1262"

"catWsC2960s48fpsL" "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1263"

"catWsC2960s48lpsL" "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1264"

"catWsC2960s24psL" "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1265"

"catWsC2960s48tsL" "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1266"

"catWsC2960s24tsL" "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1267"

We have multiple models of 48 ports from the list above that all report the 1208 instead of their correct last four digits. some examples below.

Is a 24 port 2960s but reports back as 9.1.1208 should report 9.1.1261

Model is WS-C2960S-24PD-L

Is a 48 port 2960s but reports back as 9.1.1208 should report 9.1.1264

Model is WS-C2960S-48LPS-L

Is a 24 port 2960s but reports back as 9.1.1208 should report 9.1.1261

Model is WS-C2960S-24PD-L

________________________________________________________________________

C:\Program Files\Snmpwalk>snmpwalk -v1 -c learn 10.105.202.10 | more

SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: Cisco IOS Software, C2960S Software (C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE2, RELEASE S

OFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2011 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 11-Jan-11 02:23 by prod_rel_team

SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.1.1208

DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance = Timeticks: (302883931) 35 days, 1:20:39.31

SNMPv2-MIB::sysContact.0 = STRING:

SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: CVLEI2-2960-0

SNMPv2-MIB::sysLocation.0 = STRING: Portable1

SNMPv2-MIB::sysServices.0 = INTEGER: 6

SNMPv2-MIB::sysORLastChange.0 = Timeticks: (0) 0:00:00.00

SNMPv2-MIB::sysORID.1 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.7.129

SNMPv2-MIB::sysORID.2 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.7.115

SNMPv2-MIB::sysORID.3 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.7.265

SNMPv2-MIB::sysORID.4 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.7.112

SNMPv2-MIB::sysORID.5 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.7.106

SNMPv2-MIB::sysORID.6 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.7.47

SNMPv2-MIB::sysORID.7 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.7.122

((((10.105.202.10))))

Is a 48 port 2960s but reports back as 9.1.1208 should report 9.1.1264

Model is WS-C2960S-48LPS-L

Good luck.

Brian Sullivan
                                                    Network Engineer
                                                    Enterprise Communications Group
                                                    Garland Independent School District
                                                    "Networking, where only the paranoid stay secure."
                                                        SteveSW

Brian,

Excellent investigation. I am going to pass this around to the various product leads here and see if we can get a dialog going with Cisco about this.

Thanks.

--

Steve

Bsulli

I don't know if our Cisco engineer has had a chance to get this back to development yet. He was on-site late yesterday. Just a note on the same subject I see regularly in the forums where folks are posting about SW showing a device as unknown and the suggestions I see vary as to how to determine what it is. By far the easiest thing that should be done by tech support is to have the customer query the sysObjectID and then have support look up internally whether that specific string is already in the SW databases. If it isn't then it needs to be submitted to development as a feature request. If it is in the database then either there are missing mibs that need to be added to the mib database or there is a legit SW problem with discovery. My personal experiences over the years has been many times the NMS system doesn't have the vendor specific SysObjectID string in their database so it shows up as unknown. Everything else about the device is discovered correctly because of the standards based mib-2.mib and the IfTable-mib.mib. That's why end users get driven crazy with the unknown device. Amazing what one single string can do to mess up what is otherwise a successful discovery of everything else about the device.

fwiw

Brian

jpoland

On 2960S switches by default the returned sysobjectid type is a stack-OID (.1208). To return the OID corresponding to the specific switch type enter the configuration command "no snmp-server sysobjectid type stack-oid". This will require a reload to take effect.