2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2008 3:05 PM by bleearg13

v9 UI Enhancements

bleearg13

Some minor UI enhancement requests: 

1. One slightly annoying thing is that when editing monitors and hitting 'OK' or 'Cancel', you are taken back out to the main Devices view.  ipMonitor doesn't save the current view, so you have to click 'Last Results'.  I think someone else brought this up, but it was contained within a classic "I upgraded and now everything is different and it's all your fault!  Now let me list the reasons why SW sucks" posts.
      2. An easier way to transfer monitors from a device to the orphaned group would be cool.  This is loads more helpful during a transition, but I could see how it would help in other situations, even if as a hidden option or "Global Modifier".
      3. When showing the "Top 100" monitors in the details view, it would be nice to be able to page through the rest of the monitors rather than having to show "All" or "Top 500".
      4. In the Details view, there is a little box that pops up when you hover over a monitor.  The placement of that box seems random and sometimes it shows up right underneath the mouse pointer, making it frustratingly difficult to click on the monitor if you don't have the steady hands of a neurosurgeon.
      5. I would *love* the ability to "Popup XML" from the results of a filter or export based solely on a group or selection of monitors.  The Mass Edit feature has made great strides, but there are situations where Mass Edit doesn't do the job.
        • Re: v9 UI Enhancements
          chris.lapoint
          One slightly annoying thing is that when editing monitors and hitting 'OK' or 'Cancel', you are taken back out to the main Devices view.  ipMonitor doesn't save the current view, so you have to click 'Last Results'.  I think someone else brought this up, but it was contained within a classic "I upgraded and now everything is different and it's all your fault!  Now let me list the reasons why SW sucks" posts.

I'd like to get this one resolved in the next release as improving easy of use is a key focus area.   Where would you expect to be taken when you click "OK" or "Cancel"?    

An easier way to transfer monitors from a device to the orphaned group would be cool.  This is loads more helpful during a transition, but I could see how it would help in other situations, even if as a hidden option or "Global Modifier".

This will be resolved in the first service release.   In the interim, there actually is a global modifier that you can use today.  Support should be able to hook you up.

When showing the "Top 100" monitors in the details view, it would be nice to be able to page through the rest of the monitors rather than having to show "All" or "Top 500".

Good point. I'll enter this as an enhancement request.

In the Details view, there is a little box that pops up when you hover over a monitor.  The placement of that box seems random and sometimes it shows up right underneath the mouse pointer, making it frustratingly difficult to click on the monitor if you don't have the steady hands of a neurosurgeon.

Surveys have shown that most of our users have the steady hands of a neurosurgeon, but we'll try to resolve this in the next release ;-)

I would *love* the ability to "Popup XML" from the results of a filter or export based solely on a group or selection of monitors.  The Mass Edit feature has made great strides, but there are situations where Mass Edit doesn't do the job.

Personally, I'd like to eliminate Popup XML because only our more advanced users even know what this means or why they'd want XML popping up at them    If you could describe exactly what requirement you're trying to solve with Popup XML, we'll commit to exploring how we can make this a more automated process. 

• Re: v9 UI Enhancements
              bleearg13

One slightly annoying thing is that when editing monitors and hitting 'OK' or 'Cancel', you are taken back out to the main Devices view.  ipMonitor doesn't save the current view, so you have to click 'Last Results'.  I think someone else brought this up, but it was contained within a classic "I upgraded and now everything is different and it's all your fault!  Now let me list the reasons why SW sucks" posts.

I'd like to get this one resolved in the next release as improving easy of use is a key focus area.   Where would you expect to be taken when you click "OK" or "Cancel"?

I'd expect to be taken to the "Last Results".    

An easier way to transfer monitors from a device to the orphaned group would be cool.  This is loads more helpful during a transition, but I could see how it would help in other situations, even if as a hidden option or "Global Modifier".

This will be resolved in the first service release.   In the interim, there actually is a global modifier that you can use today.  Support should be able to hook you up.

I have this configured already, but it's terribly awkward.  You can only do one monitor at a time and you cannot transfer monitors between devices without going through several steps.

I would *love* the ability to "Popup XML" from the results of a filter or export based solely on a group or selection of monitors.  The Mass Edit feature has made great strides, but there are situations where Mass Edit doesn't do the job.

Personally, I'd like to eliminate Popup XML because only our more advanced users even know what this means or why they'd want XML popping up at them ;-)    If you could describe exactly what requirement you're trying to solve with Popup XML, we'll commit to exploring how we can make this a more automated process.

The biggest reason this would be helpful is that Mass Edit does not allow you to *add* properties to a monitor.  For instance, a few weeks ago, I was configuring an SNMP QA Monitor.  I wanted to add an 'OR' statement to the list of responses to examine and couldn't find a way to do it.  A 'Popup XML' for the group or list of monitors could allow me to copy the XML data and do a multi-line find & replace in order to add an 'OR' statement, then re-import the monitors.  There are other handy uses for this, but they escape me at the moment.  I'll post again if something pops into my head.