This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Feature Request - Keep Suspend State

I'd put this in the Solarwinds Product Feature Requests, but there's no sub-forum for ipMonitor, the apparent red-headed stepchild of Solarwinds ;-)

I'd like to request that some mechanism be put into ipMonitor that keeps the "suspended" status through reboots.  We often have several monitors suspended and if we have to restart the server, the service, or put devices into maintenance mode, they all return to "Enabled".  I had a workaround for this behavior in 8.x by creating a group called "Suspended Monitors" and a filter called "All Suspended Monitors".  Whenever we did maintenance that required restarting the server or service, I'd filter out all the suspended monitors, add them to the group, then disable them.  Upon restart, it was easy to filter out by the group, then put them all back into 'suspend' mode before the back-off period expired.  With v9, I can't really seem to do this, as there is no option to "Remove" from a group, but rather just "Move" from one group to another.

• Thanks for pointing that out.  We've fixed this.   ipMonitor now is the fully adopted son or daughter of SolarWinds that we never had ;-)  

With v9, I can't really seem to do this, as there is no option to "Remove" from a group, but rather just "Move" from one group to another.

There is an option to remove from a group, which is located under the delete button.   Does this functionality help you accomplish what you need?   

• There is an option to remove from a group, which is located under the delete button.   Does this functionality help you accomplish what you need?   

Yes, it sure does.  I have noticed that my procedure has to change slightly, since I'm unable to add monitors to a group based upon a filter result.  I now have to go into the group first, then add existing monitors using a filter.  No biggy, it will just take some time to get used to doing it this way.

Thanks! 

• I now have to go into the group first, then add existing monitors using a filter.

You can use can create a SmartGroup to create a group that adds monitors based on a filter.  The problem is that this is a dynamic assignment so doesn't really get you want in this specific instance where reboot changes the attribute.

We're looking at simplifying usability with the Devices tab (e.g. right-click and drag and drop) in the next release so stay tuned ;-)