3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2008 10:24 AM by denny.lecompte

A few requests for Orion

Dal

I was told to post my requests for Orion here, so here goes:

• When filtering Events, there should be a search field to filter it even more. For example, if several interfaces on a node creates Events, you can use the search field to show just one of the interfaces. (Just like in Syslog messages really)
      • Since the choice "Custom HTML or Text" don't seem to work on Node or Interface level, I would like to see a Notes field on all levels.
      • Major upgrade of Map Maker. Especially the icons that (graphics) that can be put on nodes.
      • Drag and drop of Nodes in the Orion web interface. Example: If you have grouped your Nodes by custom fields, and you add new nodes, they are placed outside those groups. Therefore it would be nice to just drag them into the right place via the web page.
      • Be able to do more stuff through the web interface in general.
      • Be able to see Syslog messages and Syslog Summary on the Interface level

I'm sure there is more, but I will write it down as I go :)

Thank you for your attention!

Øystein Gåsdal
      Norway

• Re: A few requests for Orion
          denny.lecompte

When filtering Events, there should be a search field to filter it even more. For example, if several interfaces on a node creates Events, you can use the search field to show just one of the interfaces. (Just like in Syslog messages really)

Good idea. 

Major upgrade of Map Maker. Especially the icons that (graphics) that can be put on nodes.

Can you be more specific?  "Major upgrade" sounds great, but it's too fuzzy.  When I sit down with the engineering team to figure out what that means, it really helps to have a list of features that customers wants. 

Be able to do more stuff through the web interface in general.

Indeed, we are actively adding "more stuff" for the next release.  I think you'll be pleased.

Be able to see Syslog messages and Syslog Summary on the Interface level

Can you explain more about why?  What's the problem you're solving?  What aren't we addressing? 

Dal
              Major upgrade of Map Maker. Especially the icons that (graphics) that can be put on nodes.

Can you be more specific?  "Major upgrade" sounds great, but it's too fuzzy.  When I sit down with the engineering team to figure out what that means, it really helps to have a list of features that customers wants.

- As mentioned, more (scalable) icons, with small pictures of for example modems and radios.
              - When setting up a network link, I would like the possibility to assign one interface from each side of the link, not just from one side as it is today.
              - More control over icon placement on the map, i.e. horizontally and vertically.
              - Have the ability to group nodes the same way you have chosen on the web network summary. 

Hint: Take a look at Ipswitch' WhatsUp solution, they have nice map building capabilities.

Be able to see Syslog messages and Syslog Summary on the Interface level

Can you explain more about why?  What's the problem you're solving?  What aren't we addressing?

It's just that it would be nice to break down syslog messages to the Interface level, to really quick see what has been going on with that specific interface lately.
              Seems like a good idea to me :)

You didn't mention anything about this one:
              "Since the choice "Custom HTML or Text" don't seem to work on Node or Interface level, I would like to see a Notes field on all levels."
              Is it something that is considered?

Thanks again.

denny.lecompte

"Since the choice "Custom HTML or Text" don't seem to work on Node or Interface level, I would like to see a Notes field on all levels."
                  Is it something that is considered?

My apologies.  It's all considered, but as you may notice from hanging around Thwack, there are a lot of feature requests.  I try to comment on as many as possible, but even whe nI don't, it's still captured.