11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2010 12:53 PM by MollyMcButter

TFTP Root Directory Problem

I have installed version 9.1.0.111 of the tftp server, and I cannot change the root directory to anything besides the default of c:\TFTP-Root.  If I change it in the program settings it does nothing.  I have tried finding the value in the registry like in previous versions, but it does not seem to be there.  Is there any way that I can change the root directory?

• Re: TFTP Root Directory Problem

I am having the same problem is there a correction to this? Or is there a switch/flag that can be set to change the root directory? Thank you in advance for any help.

Tad001 - You can change the root dir by selecting File...Configure, and then changing the Storage::TFTP Root Directory textbox in the dialog.  Is this not working?

--Greg

Correct this appears to not be working. I have made that change, rebooted (just to make sure) in the interface at the lower left hand corner it does say that the directory is the directory I want but when I push a file to the server it gets put into C:\TFTP-Root and not the directory I have selected in the interface.

Just so I am clear, where I did change it, is in the interface I click on File --> Configuration --> then under Storage I am setting the TFTP server Root Directory to E:\data00\TFTP-Root  Then I have tried moving files in, I have also stopped the service and restarted the service moved files and have rebooted the system. Each time the files are stored in C:\TFTP-Root and not in the other directory. I am not sure if I am missing a step or not. I would appreciate any assistance.

Tad001 -  I was able to duplicate the issue, and here is a work around:

1. Shutdown the TFTP service by either using the services control panel applet, or the 'Stop Service' button in the TFTP configuration dialog.
                      2. Close the dialog if it is visible.
                      3. Right mouse click the TFTP server icon in the system tray, and select "Exit".
                      4. Run the TFTP GUI application and change your TFTP Root folder.
                      5. Start the TFTP service via the configuration dialog.
                      6. Do a transfer now to verify the root location has indeed changed.

Thanks for finding this issue, and we will try to get is resolved as soon as we can.

--Greg 

Ok still doing the same thing, but I did leave out an important piece of information. This is installed on a Win2008 server will that in itself cause problems? But I did follow the provided instructions and I am still getting the incorrect results.  Also another note, I cannot start or stop the service via the TFTP interface. I can stop or start it via the Windows services interface. Again, maybe this is a Win2008 server bug? Thank you in advance for the help.

Tad001 - Can we do a GotoMeeting to observe the behavior? If so, please email me.

Thanks,

Greg

For all those interested: This issue was addressed a while back in a HotFix for Toolset TFTP Server, and a new build for the Free TFTP server, so if you are still seeing this issue, please download the latest code.

Thanks to Jim for reminding me to update this forum thread!

HTH,

Greg

greg-IT

I have similar problems with the latest code of the free tftp server (10.4.0.14) on Windows 2008 server. I have 25 Cisco switches that copy security files to the tftp server all day long. The tftp server will be working fine, then I find the files are no longer being copied and the tftp server log shows that my security directory in the tftp root can not be found. At this point the tftp server has converted back to the default path instead on pointing to our D: drive.

I have not determined what may trigger this behavior yet, but I believe that the tftp server service may stop. I have windows 2008 server set to restart the server if it does stop. This may be when the tftp root path changes back to default.

I'm having the same problem. I thought it was because I was using a network directory so I moved all my config files the servers D drive and pointed TFTP to that drive . It works for awhile and then TFTP app reverts back to C:\TFTP-Root. Interestingly the status line on the bottom of the TFTP GUI shows it still using the D drive, but if I go into the TFTP configure screen, it's back to C:\TFTP-Root. I sure wish they would fix this.