4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2009 7:55 AM by mm33Atlas

TFTP SocketException

JasonKV

I recently installed TFTP Server 9.1.0.111 on a Win2k3 SP2 machine with .NET 2.0 SP1. When I Started the TFTP server through the Configure Menu option on the TFTP Software it would turn on then immediately off, with no GUI error or feedback other then it blinked on then off.

I went to the Application Event Viewer and noticed the following error.

Event Type:    Error
      Event Source:    TFTF Service
      Event Category:    None
      Event ID:    0
      Date:        12/17/2007
      Time:        10:34:46 AM
      User:        N/A
      Computer:    ************(Removed)
      Description:
      Service cannot be started. System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted
         at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
         at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)
         at System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener.Start(Int32 backlog)
         at System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener.Start()
         at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.ExclusiveTcpListener.Start(Boolean exclusiveAddressUse)
         at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpServerChannel.StartListening(Object data)
         at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpServerChannel.SetupChannel()
         at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpServerChannel..ctor(Int32 port)
         at TFTPServer.Service.TFTPServer..ctor()
         at TFTPServer.Service.TFTPServer.get_Current()
         at TFTPServer.Service.TFTPService.OnStop()
         at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.DeferredStop()
         at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.Stop()
         at TFTPServer.Service.TFTPService.OnStart(Str...

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

After many many emails with SolarWinds the following conclusion was made.

1. TFTP Server uses ports 69 and 8099 to run.

2 Port 8099 was being used by the system in a low PID process

3.TFTP Server is hard coded to only use port 8099 and not to dynamically choose the next available port.

4. Developers will fix this in the next release of the Toolset.

With all this in mind I believe I have found a workaround to the problem at hand.

1. Set the TFTP service to start automatically on reboot, rather then Manually.

2. Reboot your machine.

3. Check to make sure that port 8099 is being used by TFTPServer.exe and not your system.

I hope that his helps out anyone that may be having a similar problem. This workaround is only good if it does not matter if the service is running at reboot. I have not tested if you terminate the process after reboot if the system will reassign port 8099 to itself. Any insight or further suggestions to my issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

• Re: TFTP SocketException

Was this fixed.  I am getting the same TFTF Service error in the event viewer.  My descpription says

at TFTPServer.service. TFTPService.OnStop()

at SystemServiceProcess.ServiceBaseDeferredStop()

at TFTPServer.service. TFTPService.OnStop()

at TFTPServer.service. TFTPService.OnStart(String[] args)

at

System.Service.Process.Service.Base.ServiceQueuedMainCallback

(Object state)