6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2007 7:55 AM by josh.clark

APM interface into Orion

jkeberle

Will there be a GUI based interface into Orion.  I feel that this is a requirement.  It should have a right click on node and go from there.. place your credentials for WMI etc as the 1st thing done.. after you enter your credentials, it should do a quick verification to ensure that the credentials that you entered are working.  Afterwhich you can go in and configure the types of services you want to monitor.

Also you should be able to query the remote server via WMI to list the services table and just click on the ones you want to monitor.

I think that building a TEMPLATE is kinda ummmm dont know any other word that stupid.. as every server for the most part will have a service that may be very well unique to just that system.  Example... if you have 2 different polling servers for Orion, one most likely wouldnt be running the syslog daemon.  So simply listing the services available on each system just like you would get from the services table on the system itself would be a much better way of doing things.

Last statement about this, I dont know if the credentials for WMI are encrypted within the database store, but they should be.

• Re: APM interface into Orion
          chris.lapoint
          Will there be a GUI based interface into Orion.  I feel that this is a requirement.  It should have a right click on node and go from there.. place your credentials for WMI etc as the 1st thing done.. after you enter your credentials, it should do a quick verification to ensure that the credentials that you entered are working.  Afterwhich you can go in and configure the types of services you want to monitor.

Also you should be able to query the remote server via WMI to list the services table and just click on the ones you want to monitor.

This is an excellent idea, but we're not going to be able to get this into v1.

Please see this thread:   Please put back the PID browser... I miss it from the regular AM.

I think that building a TEMPLATE is kinda ummmm dont know any other word that stupid.. as every server for the most part will have a service that may be very well unique to just that system.  Example... if you have 2 different polling servers for Orion, one most likely wouldnt be running the syslog daemon.  So simply listing the services available on each system just like you would get from the services table on the system itself would be a much better way of doing things.

I have to respectfully disagree with you here on the value of templates.  While an out of the box Orion template might not provide much value other than for initial monitoring configuration (i.e. you don't have to use the process browser to configure), templates can include processes, network service monitors, port monitors, etc. so they provide a great way to group monitors into applications.   Templates also provide a means of quickly configuring multiple servers at one time.   For example, if you have 20 IIS servers, what are the chances that you won't want to monitor the WWW Publishing Service, IIS Admin Service, and HTTP/S on every server?.  If you want to change the polling interval or other monitor settings, using templates you can change it one place rather than in 20.  I've attached some additional templates we plan on shipping by default to help make this clearer. 

So that said, I do agree that automating the discovery process would be really helpful for not just processes, but also for network services, ports, etc..  As noted in the thread referenced above, this is definitely on our roadmap but won't make the first version. 

jkeberle

Well to counter that.. if i have 20 web servers not in a domain.. each one of those 20 have to have a unique credential setup for WMI... because just the username administrator doesnt work when i tested it.. it has to be "SERVERNETBIOSNAME\administrator".

Thus I would still have to edit the credentials for EACH service of a template for EACH of the 20 servers.

Then again, I could be totally wrong but this is from what I have been playing with.

chris.lapoint
                  Well to counter that.. if i have 20 web servers not in a domain.. each one of those 20 have to have a unique credential setup for WMI... because just the username administrator doesnt work when i tested it.. it has to be "SERVERNETBIOSNAME\administrator".

If that's the case, this is definitely a bug. Thanks for reporting this.  We should be prepending the server name to the password provided if no domain is specified.  

jkeberle

It may very well not be a bug based upon information above.  We change the names of all system to comply to a customer hiarchy.  Thus if you do in fact add the system name to the front if no domain is specified, then you all need to build a seperate table to include the systems netbios name.  You could add this field in the credentials area.

josh.clark

You shouldn't need to use the server name in the credentials.  I am monitoring servers that are not part of a domain using the user name "Administrator" without the machine's name.

I've attached a small test windows app that will execute a WMI query to a target machine using the user name and password you enter.  This does basically the same thing APM does so it should let you see if your credential will work correctly.  The WMI query is a little different, but the way it connects is the same (this tool queries for all the running processes on the target machine).

If this tool doesn't work either, there may be some other problem. 

dedwards

....Templates also provide a means of quickly configuring multiple servers at one time.....   

In it's current form I agree this is very useful, however if you have accidentally assigned the wrong template to multiple servers undoing this requires individually removing the monitor 1 server at a time which is very painful (unless I have missed a trick here). To be able to select multiple servers to remove monitors from would be very useful, if not essential I think. It would also probably be better to change the filter so that it is based on monitor rather than node but still with the option to select multiple nodes under each monitor.