6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 11:14 AM by chris.lapoint

Inventory Settings per device

BryanBecker

If anyone has a suggestion to get around this let me know.  One issue we have is some of our routers get the full internet routing table.  We want to inventory the routing tables of our devices but when it gets to these routers the job takes a very very long time to complete.  It would be nice if I could specify that routers x,y & z get everything except the routing table.

BB 

• Re: Inventory Settings per device
          BryanBecker

Chris...can this request be done in the next release.  Right now I can not inventory my important ISP routers with the full table until this is addressed.

BB

chris.lapoint

I'll definitely add this to the list of candidates.   Just curious, how would you expect this feature to manifest itself in the user interface?   Would you want to configure the routers to exclude in the global settings or in each inventory job somewhere? 

BryanBecker

Good question....I would think this would be configured in the job or make a place under node details where you can specify what parts of inventory to look for.

BB

chris.lapoint

I like your node details idea....putting this in the job itself could be tough given this is a per node setting.

bgrossman

Seems to me there are two different cases:

a) only want to get Routing Tables on a few routers - so default should be off, able to enable for individual nodes

b) only want to exclude a few routers - so default should be on, able to disable for individual nodes

We belong to group B - I want to track and compare routing tables on the ~15 internal Core routers, and the 5 exterior BGP routers; but not on the 150 other routers.

chris.lapoint

Both case are possible in 5.5.1.    We added the ability in inventory jobs to select which inventory items to include.   Inventory jobs already allowed selecting specific devices to include.

So, to address your use-case, you would do the following:

1. Create Inventory Job A, enable Routing Tables, and select the 15 internal Core routers and 5 exterior BGP routers

2. Create Inventory Job B, disable Routing Tables, and select the 150 other routers. 

To make this easier, you could assign devices dynamically to the job based on device property or create a custom property (e.g. Enable Routing Table Inventory).