This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Netflow DB full

In a nutshell I was out for a month and while I was gone someone decided to monitor extremely busy switch ports.  I've come back to find my SQL server is out of room and I can no longer collect data.

I've stopped pulling Netflow from ALL devices as well as severly shortened up the time I hold detailed and summerized records (from 480 minutes detailed 31 days summerized to 2 hours detailed and 2 days summerized). 

The question is how do I trigger Orion to purge all of the data outside of the given range?

There must be away of doing this without beating my head against the side of the SQL server!

I just want to purge old data and restore service to Orion.  I called into support but that got me nowhere so I figured I'd ask the experts!

Thanks for any help 

Note: All current patches have been applied. (Ed. Or so I thought)

• Since no one else has jumped at this I will post the cause and solution.

I did not mention that I could not manipulate the data from the Data Base Manager on the App server.

Running Orion with a seperate SQL 2005 server, the DB Manager tools do not have complete access to the SQL server for managment purposes.  The DB Manager tools will not be allowed to purge table data when there is not an SA account on the DB server.  Uninstalling Netflow Traffic Analyzer WILL NOT uninstall the Netflow Traffic records and will not cure the DB full problem.  The only way under NTA 2.2.1 to fix the problem is to log onto the DB server as admin and purge the records directly.  The DB Manager and associated Maintenance program do not have full DB access with the new Orion install 8.5.1 and Netflow 2.2.1

Per discussion with TS at solarwinds this appears to be a bug in the new release Orion possible with the ASP to .Net conversion. 

If you encounter this problem then go back and run Update.exe in the update folders for Orion and Netflow.

• We have also recently been experience DB issues.  Over the past month, there has been two episodes where all of a sudden, the Netperfmon database fills up.  We are in the same position in regards to allowing Orion to have access to the remote SQL database.  Our DBA's are saying that it is the netflow2 table that is the culprit.

The DB is around 24GB.  We are only monitoring about 20 interfaces with Netflow.  There are around 400 interfaces that we are monitoring with Orion.

I don't understand the solution to this problem that you posted.  Can someone here elaborate?

•  the steps in this thread can help

•  Your problem sounds exactly like the one I encountered.   Repatch ALL of your modules and that should fix it.

• I concur with Marks suggestion IF the information appears to be old data.  I had numerous old records that we're not purged.  However after following the suggestions for the link he provided, I was still amassing massive netflow records (200GB)  in very short order.  My system had been rebuilt (needlessly) while I was out of office for a month and the SE failed to patch EVERYTHING.  The end result was the system was not purging old info accurately.  Ensure you have everything patched first and save yourself the headache of having to repeatedly purge and truncate the DB manually like I did before I figured it out.

Good Luck 

•  Here is the thing.  I don't have access to the DB or any DB statistics.  We have DBA's that manage this.  They are stating that the database is too large, and it needs to be pruned.  I need to know what I can do on the Orion and/or Netflow settings to reduce the size of the DB.  If this means reducing the amount of time we keep statistics, that is fine.  I just don't know what to change.  Thanks.

•  You can have the DBAs truncate the netflow2 table as mentioned in this thread- (NOTE: truncating will delete the data permanently)

once the DB has decreased to a manageable size then readjust the settings within NTA web interface -> Global settings-> compressed and uncompressed data to your needs. 

•  If the DBA's are going to have to go in and manually truncate the netflow2 table, why are we keeping the data anyway?  I thought that the point of Netflow statistics was to be able to store them so that we could come back and look for trends.  This only makes sense if we could keep at least a year of statistics.  We have only been running Orion and Netflow for 4-5 months.

The DBA's are not comfortable with giving SA privileges to Orion.  What are the ramifications of not giving Orion SA privileges?  What are the alternatives?  Thanks.  

As a side not, I have a case open on this issue, and I responded to it on 3/11 @ 3:57PM.  I have not received a response yet.

• What is your case number and I'll see if I can get an update for you? 

Regarding the SA rights here is the most recent comment -