2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2007 12:58 PM by aLTeReGo

What's Missing from APM?

aLTeReGo

I'm sure I could come up with a short list of things I think are missing from the current beta 2 of APM, such as SIMAP and SPOP monitors but their is one glaring feature missing that would move APM from a good product to a great product. This simply put is generic WMI monitors. By generic WMI monitors, I am speaking specificially of the items that are currently available to monitor via "perfmon.exe". Our server admins are dependant on information such as Disk I/O, Print Queues, IIS and SQL statistics, just to name a view. This information is all available via PerfMon but it would be ideal to roll this information up into Orion and make it browser accessible with historical trending, reporting and alerting etc.

• Re: What's Missing from APM?
          chris.lapoint

I hear you.  We added the WMI poller capability in APMv1, but only exposed it for process monitoring.   Our plan is stabilize this functionality first and then look at exposing other WMI counters through this poller in future releases.   So, this is definitely on our roadmap.    Speaking of roadmap, do you have any additional monitoring requirements around virtual servers (e.g. VMware ESX server) that you'd like to see in future versions? 

• Re: What's Missing from APM?
              aLTeReGo

Honestly all of our VMWare monitoring needs could be addressed with WMI information that I can find in perfmon.exe. If this information tied into Orion it would be our sysadmins wet dream.

This may be because we currently have 8 dedicated windows VMWare serves, None are running ESX. This will change over time but for now we rely on Windows VMWare servers. We're currently evaluating Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 and keeping a close eye on the virtualization technologies included in Windows Server 2008. All of these have deep ties into WMI and can be monitored using perfmon.exe.